My daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I am trying to decide to continue her in the private catholic school she attended at preschool or a public school.

She is very shy and tends to not like crowds or loud noises. I was hoping she would grow out of it but so far, no... The private school is catholic which we are not of that religion and it would only have about 7 children in the class. The public school will have around 20 children to a class with a teacher and aide. They have about 16 classes and it is a big school. The private school only goes to 6th grade and after that I would have to decide to put her in the public or home school. I'm just confused. Can anyone help?

melodyb3

Asked by melodyb3 at 4:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go for public....I wouldn't want my child in a school that practiced a religion I did not. It sounds like she would get more socializing in public.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would continue her at the private school. I know several people who are not Catholic but send their children to the Catholic grade school because it is the learning environment they want for their child. The public school sounds very big and intimidating especially for a shy little one.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I went to catholic private school my whole life. I loved it, but other may not. Have you tried looking for a non-religious private school? I've never attended public school so I can't honestly say which is better. I would just do what ever you feel is best for your child :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 7:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Id go with Catholic because of the small student to teacher ratio, and the fact she is already there and shy.

Answer by gemgem at 8:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• public...my cousin did religious and bet it stunk to have to leave friends when it ends around 8th grade...um maybe there is a special class..mine had one well, maybe 20 kids ..have teachers work with her shyness
    carisa

Answer by carisa at 2:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Have you looked at charter schools? They're like a cross between private and public. They generally have smaller classroom sizes.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2011