Why do you need to ask your children to do something more than once

pumpkinpie112

Asked by pumpkinpie112 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some kids don't think you're being serious the first time, so you have to ask them again =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Because they are children and need to be reminded sometimes. Theyre attention spans vary from age to age. Children are also selfish by nature and dont volunteer to help you out and dont generally like having to. As they get older and out of the selfish stage and more independant they can be given more direction and punishment for refusing. Since you placed between 5 and 8 yrs old thats still pretty young and they will need constant reminders but should start growing out of it towards 8-10.

Answer by gemgem at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• because kids are kids and they don't like to listen.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I know it's like talking to air right?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If you ask a child to do something then logic would suggest that they have a choice as to whether they want to comply with the request. If you give a direction..."I want you to ____ ." removes the choice and notice that there is no "ok?" at the end.
    I do disagree that children are naturally selfish at this age, my son has always enjoyed helping with washing dishes and taking out the rubbish...not so much at keeping his room straight though, *sigh* I suppose there will always be something.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 9:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have more patience with that than asking adults to do something over and over! It does get old though. My daughter is 3 and I can't just say "Pick up your toys" I have to say "Pick up your book, put it in the basket...ok, now put your blocks in your bag...put the bag back in your closet...pick up your dress up and put it back in the tote...now put the tote away". The step by step directive is enough to drive me batty.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I am going to say that I think it is in there make up to be unable to follow directions the first time they are asked. I am glad that mine isnt the only one that does that. it is kind of refreshing.
    jomom2

Answer by jomom2 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My 10 yr old will do it most of the time but you can tell hes not really listening cuz youll tell him to throw something away and he will put it in the fridge or something.But my 7 and 5 yr olds its like talking to the wall.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2008