Lean baby

My 11 month old has always been small. He's been around the 20th percentile his whole life. At his 9 month check up he dropped to the 10th percentile but is still gaining. The doctor didn't seem concerned at all saying that he's gaining still, and reaching milstones fine and seems a very healthy and active baby. (And yes...active is right!!) But this completely freaked me out! Now for 2 months I've been on a mission to get him to gain more weight with complete exhaustion on my part. When he's full he wants NO more part in eating. I've begun supplementing with formula as well to get his weight up but it hasn't made a difference and he will knock the bottle down when done and fuss if I offer it again. Part of me kinda wants to hear I'm over-reacting, but the weight thing makes me nervous!! He's 30 inches long and 18 pounds 8 oz. Any help would be appreciated!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 6:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Take a deep breath. H is in normal ranges. Babies refuse more when they are full. Feeding time is a bonding time and should be enjoyable for mom and baby. Don't make it a battle. It will make him more resistive and he will be stressed out in anticipation of meal time. Has he started table foods? He can be eating any soft, healthy, table food at this age. Offer a variety and let him pick what he wants and don't force any. If he is hungry, fine. If not, he will make up for it at a later meal time. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have 6 kids and one has always hovered just below the 5th %ile line; he was small-for-dates at birth and drs always tossed around words like "fail to thrive". He's now 7 years old and still far too skinny but very healthy. Don't supplement with formula - that will harm your supply and his long-term health. Just accept who he is and enjoy him.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• in my answer H = He
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• he is fine kids are diff and i think the growth charts are a joke both of mine are above average on height n weight they arent over weight they r 4 and 5 and they wear 6 and 5 size pants and thats mainly cause of height
    amber8406

Answer by amber8406 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks everyone SO MUCH! Yes we're doing finger foods. Loves chicken, cheese, all fruits, peas, carrots, and spinach (random I know) etc. I still nurse before solids, but I've been wondering if I should still be doing that or not?
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes, nurse first.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011