What is the cost$ of sending your children to school trips?

We just have to pay the admissions fee. But my friend is telling me that this is the second year her child is in school and she's never been asked to pay any fees when her child goes to school trips.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sometimes the field trips are different..... My daughters class is going to a zoo this year and everyone who was going had to pay $40.00. The rest of the classrooms usually get $300.00 from the PTO to take their classrooms on field trips...my older son didn't have to pay anything for his trips he went on, he's going into the 7th grade next year and that's when the expensive class trips start, in our school though it seems to be a dying fad....I am sad to say but it's quite possible that within the next couple years there will be no such thing in our school district.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My dd is in pre k so all of her trips are free.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It depends on the trip and the school. My dd is on a field trip today and it is free because its one of the rewards she got for being a top candy seller. Other times they go see plays and its around $2-5. Next month they are going to an amusement park and its $30. So for us it always just depends on the trip.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• it depends where they go and on the school im sure. when i was in highschool band we went from florida to virginia one year and another year from florida to atlanta. both were only a couple of days but our parents had to pay something like $800 each. i would imagine all that covered the cost of the charter bus, hotel room, food, and in atlanta we went to six flags so that covered our admission also. however for a small trip to the zoo for elementary schoolers i would imagine the cost would be little to nothing, probably just the price of admission.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depends on quite a bit. Is the school and/or PTO/A covering the cost? Is there an admission? Is a school bus (and driver) being used and does that cost? Was there a fundraiser earlier in the year to cover field trips?

DD is in preschool and went on a field trip to a pumpkin farm in October and that cost the parents nothing. However, we are going to the zoo next month and that is costing us.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Actually, after I posted that, I remembered that it did cost $5 a person for the pumpkin field trip. BUT...with that said, the zoo is $80.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• it depends on the school and type of trip the kids are going on .....pumkin patch free, park free, zoo trips 10$, FFA trip 25$( for food) , ski trip 45$, i could keep going with 3kids in 3 schools but i think you get the point...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We usually pay the cost of admission and a couple dollars more to pay for the school bus when one is needed.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depends on the trip.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Usually nothing. Today my 3 oldest are all at the circus (as well as a nature center before, and something else after), and all we had to provide was a sack lunch, no money. Usually every fall they go see a play at a local college, then they have to take $1 along. But I can't remember ever having to pay for their field trips.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011