• In the Spotlight:

If parents are dumb enough to fall for scams like "Your Baby Can Read"

do they deserve to be scammed or are they really victims? Is the company at fault for preying on the gullible and people obsessed with creating overachievers, or should the parents know better?

An advocacy group is asking the Federal Trade Commission to halt ads for a widely promoted product line called Your Baby Can Read, saying the claims of teaching infants to read are false and deceptive.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Read their Disclaimer.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 7:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I've never tried since I was a bit skeptical, but my sister ended up buying it. She has really talked much about it with me though. I wouldn't say they deserved to be scammed, but at the same time I don't think they are victims. That's why one should always research an expensive product before buying or at least that what I would do.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 7:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think of them more as volunteers than victims. That said, I received Baby Einstein videos when my DS was an infant and when he was a few months old he loved to watch them. I don't know exactly how much he could see, but I imagine it was the colors and the music that did it for him. I didn't expect it to make him smart, but it was entertaining and brought a smile to his face. I think some people actually did buy into the 'Baby Einstein will make your kid smart' theory. I just figure those were the uber competitive live-through-your-child types.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Buying into something like "Your Baby Can Read" definitely does not make a parent dumb or gullible and it does not mean they are obsessed with creating an overachiever, it means they just want their children to succeed...and that's a natural thing.

My mother wanted so bad to buy DD this series and I kept telling her no...but my reasoning for saying no wasn't because I didn't think it would work, I was just worried that if DD memorized as a baby how to "read" the word CLAP, it might be harder later in her young life to get phonics. I didn't like their method of teaching.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree. One lesson I learned is to research the product while also having a bit of common sense.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• none of those things will make your kids smart. Its a parents job to be a childs first teacher. Not setting them in front of the tv to watch einstein or words pop up all day. smart interactive parents = smart babies
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Kids learn best by playing. That is their job as kids. Babies play and learn new skills every day. I just don't buy into the whole, kids need to be learning ALL the time. Dora and Diego drive me and my DH nuts. My DD has learned more from the Fresh Beat band and Wonder Pets than from Dora and Diego. She can't stand baby einsteins and she loves blues clues.
    Noone in my family "learn to read" when we were babies and most of us are professionals and were excellent in school.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That dosnt make them Gullible. People who think a blind e-mail stating they won a huge foreign lottery and or have a huge inheritance from a foreign country in a e-mail from a stranger are the truly gullible people. FYI? As an American citizen you are not allowed by law to win a foreign country's lottery. Microsoft's main headquarters IS NOT in a foreign country as well. And I know someone who's little baby DOES read. So perhaps this thing does work?? Just not for everyone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Gullible? I'm not sure about that. It does show a profound lack of common sense. Do they deserve to be scammed? No. Just because a person is easy to scam doesn't mean they deserve it.

sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Not to start anything here, Vbruno, but I would be very interested in seeing if you can give this little baby a brand new book that has never been read to him/her and see if he/she can really read it. If the baby cannot read words that have not been "taught" to him/her through the baby can read system or flash cards, then the baby is not really reading, he/she is just repeating the words that were memorized through the exposure.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2011