Can a person over come their past?

Can a drug addict, alcoholic, adulterer, etc over come their past? Can they get past the rumors swirling? Can other people let go of the guilty party's past? Should it even matter to the one attempting to overcome the past?

I was not sure where to post on this one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes they can.
    I love the fact that when God looks at the heart and who we really are in His eyes. He does not see where we have been but who He created us to be.
    "They dont get a "pass" from us in that dept we know what they did and who they are." <-- This comment reveals to me unforgiveness which is a HUGE key to freedom.
    When I hear stories like this... I make it a point to look at what God sees. Yes they made a mess, did they clean up the mess and ask for forgiveness from their family and friends? God sees them entirely different that what the flesh sees. Here is what He sees. He sees two precious people whom He loves ( doesnt matter if they are believers or not) and He sees them as whole, restored and loved people. He sees them as daughters and sons! This is what He sees and this is who He ministers to. To often people hold on to what a person did and is kept in bondage because of it. Continued...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Anyone can change their life for the better. They just HAVE to WANT it bad enough. As far as getting past the rumors, sometimes those people looking to change and get a fresh start need to move away from the people who know all about their past. Only time on the good, or improved path will show the people who know you best that you really have changed. It dosnt happen over night or in only a few months. Sometimes in order to overcome your past you have to walk the good path for years without falling off before people will truly believe you've changed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I believe they can and do!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It's completely possible. As for rumors most times they don't deserve a comment from you. Live your life others will see the difference. others will become your advocate. Their words and your actions will speak louder then those who wish to defame you. As for those who don't think that you have changed. Jealousy comes to mind. They want to still be better then you, they have such little lives that the only way they can be happy is to put others who have bettered themselves down, remind others of your past. In the long run they end up looking very bad. Keep it up, stay strong, all will eventually get better. Also you can't control what others say or do, all you can do is control how you react to it.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Of course they can , all it takes is the will to want to. And other peoples opinion should not matter.

Answer by older at 8:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have overcome many things. My family has forgiven me. You just have to be able to love yourself first and be strong willed. just know that no matter what anybody says (rumors or what) that nothing will bring you back to that place. that is part of being strong. you have to want to feel like you want to show the world you can do it. often family can hurt you the most by saying some of the cruelest things but just move on ..and prove them wrong because they will see how wrong they were and they will feel like the fools in the end for not being supportive.

to answer your question about should it matter about the past.. for me, i wasnt holding on to my past in situations. i was surrounded by negativity. i had to find an outing every time.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You have to WANT to overcome your past. Then you have to put into action what it takes to make it happen. I have climbed mountains to turn my life around to what it was, I hit rock bottom and worked my way out...and I had to do it on my own...There are people who will never forgive or forget and those are the ones you just cut out of your life. People do change.....but they have to do it for themselves or it will never stick.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• A part of overcoming ones past is also overcoming other's judgmental and irrational need to hold it against you. Look at it this way ~ when you were drugging & drinking & committing adultery, did you care what others thought of you? ~ No. So when your time comes and you take stock of yourself and decide that *YOU* want to change you for you ~ then you don't let what others don't want to let go of hinder what you are doing for yourself. Recovery and sobriety isn't about anyone but yourself; those who love you and those whom you love can join in on the joy and pride of the great effort you're putting in and the leaps you're taking ~ still it isn't about them is it? If you give in to the guilt and shame that other people want to heap on your shoulders, then you're giving in to failure. Let no one deprive you of forgiving yourself. If another wants to continue to carry your 'sins' on their lips then it's *their* burden, not yours
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think it's possible
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Maybe idk my ex-husband has been a addict for over 10 years and still has not changed. Depends on the person i guess.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 8:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2011