I'm placing my son in Public School. Should I expect to pay for something besides schools supplies?

MMXI

Asked by MMXI at 8:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in

• Add everything they ^^ all said (plus or minus depending on your school district) then add stuff like hand sanitizer and boxes of kleenex. By the time my boys hit 7th grade ~ I had told the school district to get bent over asking ME to supply 7 boxes EACH of kleenex and hand sanitizer (supposedly it's for the "class" -- I have 2 teachers in the family - BOTH of them had a backstock of about 150 boxes of kleenex and hand sanitizer left over at the end of the year (and they took it home with them for their own use) I am not a fan of public school systems and the supply lists they send home sometimes. (tho both of my kids went to public school their whole school-life.)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• lunch & breakfast, unless he qualifies for free lunch, or if you send him with lunch from home. also, dont expect the beginning of the year to be the only time you will be buying school supplies, you will need to replenish supplies as the year goes by. some kindergarten teachers also ask you to purchase dry erase markers, snacks, computer paper, & other things throughout the year. i hope this helps.
    veronicalanier

Answer by veronicalanier at 8:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Depends on the school district. Some charge for workbooks, some have small fees at the beginning of the school year, but some have instructional fees that help cover the cost of paper, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Maybe lunch(depending on your income) and field trips. And some class activities. What kind of school was he in before.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 8:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• As above poster said, depends on the school system. We pay fees for workbooks, etc. Not very cheap either!!
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 8:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• meals, and we have to pay $10 every few months for snacks. not too bad actually.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Most schools have something like a $75 sports registration that is good all year. Sometimes there are fundraisers and food drives but you don't have to participate.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Our school district charges a registration fee anywhere from 45 for Kindergarten to 150 for High school depending on the classes they take. We then buy supplies, snacks, pay for field trip costs, and school lunches.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 8:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• For us you buy supplies, pay book rental (I want to say around $40 for the year, field trips etc. In our supply lists there are things for the classroom as well printer paper, ziploc bags, clorox wipes that kind of stuff.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Breakfast, lunch, school supplies, field trips, special events, sports, pictures, raffles, lots of little things throughtout the entire year.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

Next question in
School

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
Question