Babysitting Prices

whats a fair amount to charge someone for watching their 2 year old and their 4 month old
4 days a week for 2 hours?

lovinmyhubby

Asked by lovinmyhubby at 9:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-25 Credits)
  • call local day cares in your area and see what the rate is..I'd think thats the best way to find out whats fair..somehow get an idea

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Are you going to be at your house or theirs? Where I live I would say the price would be around $25 if at your house, $35 if at theirs and you have to pay for gas. I would also set it up that if they are late then an extra $5 for every 15 minute increment for something like that.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If it's not including meals, with them being the age mine are, I would see $5-10 a day, depending on why the parent needs me. If they're going to work, or just after school, take care of their health, run family errands, $5-8 a day. If they just need the time cause mom needs a break, or if she's going shopping, or tanning, etc, $8-10 a day.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with matobe, I say 5-10 a day would be ok. I was watching a 7 month old for about 9 hours a day an I was getting 25 a day. I was helping a friend so I was really not worried about what she was paying me. You can also check craigslist on the people who are advertising they will babysit. That way you have a general idea on what people charge are the area you live in.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Oh yes, that's if they did transportation. Rates at a daycare are between $2-3/ hr. If they're friends, great, if they're not really close friends, they're seeking you because either 1. They can't find someone part time for their needs (part time slots usually fill first) 2. They don't want to commit to a daycare center they have to pay if the kids aren't there, or 3. They need a lower rate... I guess for me, it depends on the situation.

As a mother of two that age, I couldn't afford $25-35 a day. That's more than whole day rates at a daycare center! Oh, and I agree to the "overage charge from jamiekl...$5 is good, but I'd go with half-hour increments.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2011