Do you give your little one honey?

It never killed my kids, but not something I really remember giving a lot of. Maybe on a bisquit or something small like that.
I niece and sil have allergies and I have heard that local honey is good for allergies. Had someone freaking out talking about cant give honey to little ones.
Just wondered your thoughts on this??

bizima4

Asked by bizima4 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• if over one year old its okay if not it could be dangerous!
    mimi1207

Answer by mimi1207 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You shouldn't give it to kids under the age of 1, and I think some even say 2 now. There is a botulism that more developed systems can handle but not very young immune systems.

Honey has a lot of beneficial properties. My kids all love it in tea or for a sore throat or cough. I don't know about allergies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Never to a baby. I would probably even wait until 2 myself. I do hear local honey is great for allergies and I'm hoping to test that out this year!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i do
    amber8406

Answer by amber8406 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I never gave it to dd when she was a baby, but now that she is 2 I sometimes have to give her a cough syrup that has honey in it.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Not positive, but isnt that you should not give it if they are under 1 year old? Could cause Infant Botulism. Something with their underdeveloped immune systems.
    But I would think unless you are having them "drink" it, the small amount would not really add up to a lot
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 9:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• About the botulism, I was reading that it's other things other than honey. Was also reading that on some cultures that honey is a normal part of the diet. Really who knows? Seems everything you do is bad or wrong anymore.

bizima4

Comment by bizima4 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You are supposed to wait until they are two to try things that could cause strong allergic reactions. God forbid they are allergic, the Doctors can intervene better on a larger body. You are right about the local honey though. It does help with the allergies.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• honey being bad for infants is nothing new. my mother was told the same thing when i was an infant 24 years ago. there is a germ in honey that infants cannot process. it even says on the back of the jar not to give to infants under 1 year of age. and to be on the safe side i waited til my kids turned 2.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• At one I give it. For two reasons. The risk of bacteria in honey because it is not pasteurized and because of the consistency it can be a choking hazard for some children. Local honey is excellent for allergies.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2011