Car seat Help!!

So I am lost my husband really wants us to transfer our son from his infant car seat to his "big boy" car seat as I call it. I don't think he is ready he's 7 months old weighs 16.3 pounds and 27 1/2 inc. long. When we put him in the "big boy " car seat he is still to light to push down all the padding? How did you guys figure out he's ready to be switched.? btw: the "big boy" car seat rear faces.

vengels05

Asked by vengels05 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not till 20 lbs.
    google your local carseat laws, give you a better info
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• OK thank you. Yeah the only problem is his legs hang out so idk if i should be worried about it. bleck... lol
    vengels05

Comment by vengels05 (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yea I know it does look funny. But they are saying even into 2years they should be rear face for best safety. I seen that on the news. Seems uncomfortable

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The new recommendation is to switch at 2 years. However I think kids generally get to big by that time. We switched my son who is average height and weight just before his 1st birthday.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He's still in his INFANT carrier so i don't know if hes ready for the big boy one yet. he's really long just doesn't weight that much. he is in the 90th percent for height but 15th for weight so idk what to do lol
    vengels05

Comment by vengels05 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• mine outgrew their infant carseats around 9-10 months and then they were put in a convertible carseat rear-facing until they met the requirements to forward face. if you google "convertible carseats" it should tell you the minimum height/weight requirements for each seat. it is possible for some babies to outgrow their infant carseats pretty early.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• As long as it rear faces it should be fine. My oldest was a long baby. We put him in a convertible car seat at about 6 months. He rear faced until a year and then we turned him around at 1 yr and over 20 lbs. This was also way before the notion of extended rear facing, which we did with DD who was tiny.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• people, she's not asking to forward face him. she's saying he's too big for his infant carseat.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Don't worry about the legs sticking out. First it isn't all that dangerous. Second, even if it were, it is much easier to set a broken leg than to heal a broken neck. My DD is on the small side. At 17 months she weighs 20 lbs. She's still in her infant seat and will be for the next two pounds. I'm in no hurry.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011