How to get my son ready for preschool and not have temper tantrums when they say time to clean up or come inside?

My son is going to start preschool/headstart in the 2nd week of September and he will be riding a bus to the nearest school.
He knows his basic shapes, he knows his basic colors, and he can recoginze his own name in printing. He is also starting to get himself dressed with a little help from me.
My biggest concern is that he is going to have melt downs in school because the teacher tells the class to pick up their art stuff, or clean up their toys or even to come inside. I have been working with him on it, but he has meltdowns and i have to usually carry him in the house because he will run off and i have to then chase him. Or when i tell him to put the crayons away he just gets mad and throws them and runs away, and i end up doing it.
How can i get him ready for this.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't worry, he will behave 10 times better for them than he has ever behaved for you. Hide behind the corner after you drop him off. I'm willing to be you will be amazed.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i think when it comes to another person like a stranger (his teacher) he will react differently. My middle son has big fits and is a bit of a bully when it comes to his brothers and sister, then when in school he listens well to the teachers and he gets good reports.

the thing is with this... if they see it occuring in the classroom, the teachers will find a way to work with your son on this, your probably all nervous and a wreck over this but don't be, tell the teachers you have tried your best at trying to correct it and they will think of ways to handle it themselves.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I know with my daughter she just does it because all the other kids are doing it and not throwin g a fit. She throws them for me at home too
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He will be fine. Kids conform to what others are doing so he'll see that no one else acts like that and he'll stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with the others. He's likely to do just fine at school. To preserve your sanity however, you need to solve the problem at home. Do yourself a favor and stop picking things up that you've asked him to do. I've found that giving a couple of warnings that it's getting close to time to come in or clean up (10 more minutes, 5 more minutes, 1 more minutes etc). He doesn't really know how long 10 or 5 or 1 minute it but he knows 10 in more than 5, etc. Warn what will happen if he doesn't cooperate (timeout or whatever works). Then make sure you follow through. Try making cleanup activities into simple games (put all the green cars away, how fast can you put the crayons into the box, put 3 blocks away, etc). In my house, if something gets thrown in anger, it gets taken away. It's ok for you child to be angry that he has to stop a fun activity, but it isn't ok to throw it. He's old enough to start to understand that.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Stop picking up after him. If he gets mad and throws things around leave them all over the place if he runs off oh well when he comes back he will have to pick them up or he does not get to play with them the rest of the day.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It's a battle they had with my son as well when he went to Head Start. He's in a PPCD class now.

There's a whole lot to his story however that I just don't feel like explaining at the moment. But he will be starting occupational therapy soon. I have no advice for you at this time because we're dealing with these issues ourselves and haven't quite figured things out yet.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my 3 year old is autistic and has terrible meltdowns with coming inside and cleaning up. what helps a little is to just word the request differently. instead of "time to go inside" its" lets go inside and get a snack". instead of "lets clean up the toys" its "clean the toys up with mommy so we can go color". he still screams WHILE he does what was requested but he still does what he was asked. at school they do the same thing and they also use PECS to show him visually what will be next after clean up or coming in.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 12:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It might be the opposite. He might learn the good behavior at school and bring it home. Great advice already from other Moms already on temper tantrums. In regards to your concern just spend a week and review all the questions on the toddler and preschool section and you will realize that you are not the only one with a child predisposed to tantrums sending them to school.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yours won't be the first or only or last kid to have meltdowns at preschool. Preschool is for learning. He will learn to go with the flow, and might transfer his new skills to the home. If he doesn't improve, then he might be showing signs of a disability, but I'm sure he'll be fine.
    Rosehips62

Answer by Rosehips62 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011