Does your child have an email account? If so, how old are they and which do they use?

I tried setting up my son who is 7 an email account but Gmail won't let me due to age requirements. What are the age requirements for a child to have an email account? Makes me wonder how my 11 year old set up his own account.
We have used Verizon in the past for both my boys but it is too hard for them to understand their format. They only email family members and certain friends.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Technology

• My 4 year old has her own through gmail. It's so her daddy can write her emails while he's deployed.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My kids are 9 and 10. They have had an email account via zilladog. http://zilladog.com/ for at about a year and half now (if not longer).

I LOVE it for them, because I have control over their contact list. (Only people on their contact list can email) all other emails go into a parental control box that has to be approved by me. This means NO spam!!!

Also I have it set up so I automatically get blind carbon copies of all incoming and outgoing emails. Thus I know exactly what my kids are saying to other people and what other people are saying to them. My kids do NOT know I get the blind carbon copies and frankly I have no interest in telling them that either.

My kids love it because they have cool kid friendly features like choosing your own background (themes) etc, they also can add emotion-cons to their emails. (Which is big hit for my young kids). They like the smiles and the crazy things they do.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yes I know whats the world coming to..lol.. I was like 20 before I had one
    My 12,10, and 9 year old have them through yahoo..Just under my info. If they are under age they wanted a credit card number..So they are under me
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My DS has a togetherville account plus he uses the wii to send messages. He is almost 7 and doesn't have a traditional email account yet. Maybe in a couple of years.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We set DD up with an e-mail account a while ago with GMail...not sure what we did with the age thing. We don't use it though...it's just sitting there waiting for her if she ever wants it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Both my 13 and 11 year old are set up under me through Yahoo.
    tc0105

Answer by tc0105 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• They want one, but they don't have it just yet. We were going to get it for them, and then my SO got the idea to start a secure social networking site for kids, where the parents sign up and can have complete control to set the kids up how they want, with background checks and such to make sure we don't have any sex offenders on the site. We decided to wait until we get that up and running (hopefully in the next couple of months) and set the kids up on there.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011