Do you think painting a boy's toenails bright pink is OK? Apparently some people are appalled at the president of J. Crew doing just this....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/crew-ad-boy-painting-toenails-pink-stirs-transgender/story?id=13358903

I personally don't see a problem with it at all. One lady in the video brought up a good point. if it were a picture of a girl playing with trucks in the miud, nobody would have complained.

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's cute. And you're right, there is such a double standard for boys sometimes. There's less stigma to girls being 'tomboys' than for boys who dress up, even if they're so young that it doesn't mean anything other than pretend play or costume type fun. I haven't dress my son up or painted his nails, but if he wanted me to, I would. I remember in high school, a couple of our guy friends (who happen to be baseball players) let us paint their toenails, just for fun. They had fun, and thought it was hilarious to walk around with pink toes. They didn't keep on for long, but it was fun at the time. And I don't know why some people freak out when boys want to dress up as girl characters for Halloween either. I wouldn't push these activities on my kids, but I'd be supportive if he wanted to do them. It's all in good fun IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think J Crew needs to send the sanctimommies a fruit basket. They've gotten far more publicity from the whining than the ad alone ever would've seen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• She has recieved emails from people saying that she is turning her son gay...lol....

I'm guessing those same people have sent angry emails to PBS about Bert and Ernie sharing a room, so one more thing to complain about doesn't really matter.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think it's sending a confusing message and it make its hard for the parents who dont agree with this

By that logic, shouldn't they ban all ads of girls or women wearing pants because it sends a confusing message and makes it hard for parents who don't agree with women wearing anything but dresses or skirts? Why should one person's personal hangup dictate a company's advertising?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• "She has recieved emails from people saying that she is turning her son gay...lol...."

LOLOLOLOLOL...OMG, you can 'turn' gay? Too many stupid people in this world.

But i do agree with those that say it's just a publicitiy stunt. And it worked.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• idk why it's such a big deal...would I do that with my son? No.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• not my thing for a little boy.
    I will say my hubby normally has pink toes thanks to my 6 yr old dd lol
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My now 16 year old son's (capt of the football team, varsity baseball player, honor student) favorite color was pink until he was about 6- he also wanted to be a cheerleader- is he gay- who knows/who cares- but the point is kids like what they like and grow and change- his favorite color now is red and would rather be cheered for than cheer- he is happy, well adjusted and thriving- the fact that he always picked the pink balloon from the bunch as a youngster in no way damaged him or his self esteem- (or mine or my husbands)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't paint my son's toenails, but to each their own.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm not ashamed to say that I don't like it at all. Do I think she's turning him gay? No, not at all. However, I do think she's setting him up to be bullied and harassed.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011