Wearing Dress-Up Clothes

DD is 5 and has lately become a girly-girl...and in doing so, she always wants to wear her frilly play dress-up skirts. And not just around the house...to the store, to school, to wherever we go...and I let her do it by putting her in regular clothes (shirt and pants) and putting the skirt over-top of her pants. DH says I shouldn't allow it being that these are dress-up clothes, not real clothes. My take is that she's wearing real clothes with dress-up over-top, so biggie...I'm just not seeing that it's hurting anything.

Do you/would you allow your child to wear things like this outside the house?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dont see a problem. Like my dd and niece has worn the shoes while we ran to the store
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes I would allow my daughter to go out like that. I believe hat letting your child wear the clothes they choose (I am not talking about skimpy clothes) help build a sense of self and confidence. My dd is 2 and we occasionally go out in a tutu if she wants..... it's really not a big deal to me, and most people think it's adorable anyway lol.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I do. I figure when my daughter's going through one of those stages, I could have an argument over something that isn't worth fighting about, or let her wear her dress-up stuff out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That type of clothes draws attention and usually in a good way...Ohhhhhhhhhh, you look so pretty in your dress. Who wouldn't love accolades all day long? I only have sons and one of them liked to wear Spiderman and Ninja costumes. I allowed him to and he'd get the attention he wanted. It only lasted a few times anyway. Just go with it. :)
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 4:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• if i had a daughter yes i would let her do that..i let my son pick out his own clothes and he is 5 i just give him a little direction like no that dont match can you find and one and he is fine with it.
    jtaylor03

Answer by jtaylor03 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I make my daughter change.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• At 5 I would start discouraging it. Going to the park- Okay, running to the store-maybe, going to school, church- absolutely not allowed. At YOUNGER ages I don't have an issue w/this. I mean I let my 3 year-old nephew last week go to church in his batman costume (costume was over is normal clothing). However I will say 3 is the max age I really would allow things like that.....
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011