How do I get my 3 year to stop...

swearing? She is driving me nuts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are different views to this. Some people say to just ignore it because acknowledging it makes it worse.

I would say take something away every time she swears. Or put her on time out? My mom used to put us on time out standing up facing the corner of the room. That way we couldnt interact with anyone.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Time outs are getting so old with her. Right now she is in her bedroom for saying SOB
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My son was doing that bc I was doing it. Kids learn what they live. I told him it was bad and if he would help me stop I'd help him stop. That worked well for us.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have stopped but she hasn't. She will be going to preschool in Septenmber at a church and I don't want her swearing like sailor. Ahhhhh! That would be so embarrassing!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would try admckenzie's way. The less conflict the better. If that doesn't work after a month or so, then inform her that every time she swears you will take something away, and each time take a bigger, more important toy away.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• we do a light pop on the check or mouth. ds is 3 and only swares every once in a while. dh swears everyday but ds has learned that only mommies and daddies can say them.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm seriously thinking about going back to putting soap in her mouth.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i noticed that my kids were startin to do it so i stopped myself and corrected the adults in front of them then if they would still say it i put dishsoap in there mouth and tell them that dirty mouths need to be washed out and they know have fun tellin and correcting adults on it and ive also had to act like i put dish soap in mouths that kept sayin dirty words
    amber8406

Answer by amber8406 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011