Educational DVD's

My father wants to buy the "Your baby can read" kit for my son but I don't know if it's worth it for $200. Has anyone tried it? Results?
What are some other educational DVD's? Do they really work? Will my baby get overstimulated?
There are other one's like baby Genius, baby Einstein, baby sign language, brainy baby, and I'm sure much much more! Has anyone tried these?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 3:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, no, no! Don't do it! It does not teach actual reading. It teaches sight recognition. Learning to "sight read" first has actually been shown to be harmful when a child then is taught phonics and how to sound words out. Do your child a favor and PASS on this "system".

What are some good shows?
    Leap Frog Letter Factory is good - my daughter learned all of her letters and their sounds. The "My Baby Can Talk" sign language series is good - they even teach colors. My daughter hated Baby Einstein so I don't know what other babies learn from them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• no tv for my children until after the age of 2 and even then it's pretty limited.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Do not start TV with your kids until they are older. It used to drive me crazy my hubby puts them in front of the tube so he can play hisPC games.. ARGH!! Its a bad habit to get into unless monitored and preferably after age 2
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008