Is my son a picky eater or just not an eater at all.

My 3 year old son Haiden will eat, green peppers, mac n cheese, pizza, olives, rice, chicken, hamburger/ cheeseburger, cheese, dairy products, TV dinners, cereal/ cereal bars, Bananas, Apples, carrots, Oranges, Peaches, Pears.
My question is even though he eats these things and more he doesn't eat much. Like he will take a bite or couple bites and say i am full. Then like an hr later he will ask for a snack (which i warm up his supper or whatever it is that he didn't finish and say here is your snack.) But he is on PEdiasure his dr recommended that until 5 since he is so small. (22lbs, 35inces) I make supper around 4pm and we eat around 4:30-5pm and he takes at least a half hr to even get something in him, and by 6pm he is asking for his PEDIASURE which he doesn't get until 7. I do warm up his supper but he won't touch it so he has a fit.
I have done sticker charts where if he eat like a good boy he can put a sticker on it, if not eating nicely the sticker gets removed, I have put him in his room and say when ur ready to come and eat u may come down, I have made him sit at the table by himself and eat, I have taken toys away until he eats, done about everything to get him to eat.
He could go days with out eating if u let him, as long as he has liquid in his hand or something to drink he is fine. He prefers to have liquid, i even made him liquid breakfasts, lunches, and suppers, but he didnt' like that too much.
I am afraid if he was not on his drink that his dr recommend for him he might be Anemic
Any suggestions on what else i can try to get him to eat

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he happen to snore at night, or have frequent sore throats, or anything like that? My youngest DD (will be 6 this summer) was like that - she loved to eat, but she'd hardly eat, she would drink as much as we'd let her, and she didn't weigh a whole lot. Long story short, we realized she'd inherited sleep apnea from DH & FIL, we had her tonsils taken out, and as soon as she was healed up and could eat, she'd eat everything we'd let her, and she gained weight. So the moral is, are his tonsils too big or something that it's hard for him to swallow foods, but liquids go down fine? I'd have that side of things checked out just to see if that could be his issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My pedi recommended that we use pediasure as well. We decided to stop using it and our DD started eating much better when we took her off of it. I is a very sweet thick drink like a runny milkshake. Our DD wouldn't eat and fill up on the peidasure. She eats incredibly well without it. My 3 yo is about as big as your son.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Oh wow anon! That makes so much sense. My daughter is the same way!! She was diagnosed with sleep apnea when she was born, but they said she was fine after 6 months. I have questioned here and there whether or not she still has the problem, but of course she has only had a couple of incidents since she was 6 months old. Her tonsils are huge! I would check into it OP. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Have you tried serving supper between 6 and 6:30? I have two 3yr old Grandsons and one of them is the same way.
    ann666

Answer by ann666 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• So this may not be workable but you have tried feeding him his dinner later? Is it possible he simply isn't that hungry at your current dinnertime? (Not knowing if/when he has snacks makes it tough to know.) I'd also be a little suspicious about the role the Pediasure might be playing in this too. He's old enough to know he's going to get something "better" later and may very well simply be waiting for it. You might also try limiting how much he has to drink to make sure he isn't filling himself up with liquids. Kids don't need that much liquids to stay hydrated (assuming they're not sick) plus they get a fair amount from foods, particularly fruits. I'd stick with reheating his dinner if he's hungry after it but I wouldn't punish him. That may make this more of a battle of wills and aggravate the problem. Just calmly re-offer the food and let him protest.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• One of u mentioned sleep apnea, he goes to the dr every year, and they said nothing about it, he does snore when he is over tired which is very often because he refuses to take a nap unless i am up in his room or if he didn't get a nap because of a family function like a bday party, xmas or easter. His tonsils are actually really good, he never had strep throat, ear infections.
    The dr wants him to be on pediasure, and he is on a prescription for it for WIC. I sometimes don't give it to him, but that doesn't make a difference, and his pediasure is right around bed time
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011