"What I Want To Be When I Grow Up" Pic

DD goes to Kindergarten next year and her school does a pre-school graduation that she will take part in next month. One of the things they do is get pictures of the kids dressed up as what they want to be when they grow up. Previous years they've had parents send in the picture, but this year the teachers are asking that you bring the clothes/props to school for them to take the picture. One of the aids is a photographer, so of course figured it wouldn't be a big deal and she'd take a better picture than I ever could, so I sent DD to school with her dress-up veterinary outfit yesterday and asked that they e-mail me the pic they take because I have a blog that I like to post DD's pictures in.

So I get the picture last night. DD is sitting in a small chair, wearing the vet jacket, has the surgical mask covering half of her face, and has a little dog where she's giving it a shot. Plus because it was raining pretty hard yesterday, she was wearing her rain boots and they stick out of that picture like a sore thumb to where those are the first thing your eyes see.

Needless to say, I HATE the picture and cringe in thinking that this is the picture that will be used to represent her at her pre-school graduation. Yeah, I know, it's just a bunch of 4-5 year olds, so who cares? Obviously I do.

Should I ask that it be taken again? Maybe volunteer to take it myself? Or just let it go hating the picture in silence?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's not horrible but yeah, I am sure you could do better. This is a photographer who took this? Her face is covered, she is sitting so you can't see the outfit, the back ground is to busy, and yes the rain boots are out of place. I think if it was me I would silently hate it but my DH would talk to the teacher and ask if we could use another one because he is unhappy with the fact her face is covered and would prefer to do it himself. He is the fighter I am the smile and nodder.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Try taking your own and if it comes out better send it in and ask that they switch it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Ask to have it taken again, I am sure you are not going to be the only one asking.

Answer by older at 9:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would ask to have it taken again if you are unhappy with it. Maybe you could be there when they take it? That way you have input on it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• why did you send in the mask if you didn't want it covering up her face?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It couldn't hurt to ask for retakes. Or you could just take it at home and make sure your's is the one that gets used.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It really isn't that bad. They shouldn't have covered her face, but otherwise it is fine. Are you just more upset that you didn't take the pic that you wanted or that they just did a bad job? I think that maybe you should just let it go. I am one for not liking pics that have been professionally done in the past but really this one isn't that bad.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with you on the boots...but its still a cute pic. I would just ask if you could take it yourself and send it in.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think it is cute. Specially since a lot of vets do wear mucks because they are treating bigger animals like cows and horses.
    Besides - for your blog - crop out the boots.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• the boots do not bug me
    but
    i do understand that you would like your childs face showing

just call and ask that a new pic be taken without mask covering her face, or supply your own and ask that it be swaped
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2011