Is well water bad to wash baby in?

I have a well, that we treat with salt and chorline... and I was just wondering if it is safe to bathe babies in it? Or should we buy good water when the time comes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have a well, not treated, but I always bathed my sons in it. City water has all kinds of stuff in it as well, and it's not like you're going to marinate him/her in it. lol I think it would probably be ok. Unless it's got a really strong chlorine smell, then I would let it sit for a day or two to get rid of the chlorine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• thats like washing my daughter in a public pool?! no thanks lol.

dont you have reg. tap water?!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Well water is probably the best water that you can use. It has all the natural "bacteria" (for lack of a better word) that you need. The things it doesn't have is fluoride and things like that and that is ok. I don't know about what you treat it with.... is it just once a year and such? We have well water and it is treated once a year and I hate it for that week it takes to get the stuff out.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• well robertson811 I would suggest you not wash ur daughter in a public pool then, and hello did you not just read my question... i have a well, so the answer to the dont you have tap water is no!
    Anonymous

• thanks girls that did answer my question! my well is treated monthly.. other people that I have talked to have said its okay, I was just concerned about my baby's sensitive skin.. thanks for your replies!
    Anonymous

• Yep :) If your baby starts to have a reaction after bathing, I would switch soaps and lotions first, then see if the water is what is causing the problems.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• No problem, unless something is wrong with your well! I grew up in a well-water house, and loved it! I'd much prefer well water to city water!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• the other beauty to having well water is you can use it straight from the tap to mix formula. you dont' have to buy bottled water or boil it first. My DD gets fluoride drops to make up for the lack of it in our water.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I grew up in a well-water house and I'm just fine =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• We have raised our kids on and IN well water for 12 years now. My kids have all been bathed in and drink well water. If there were any health hazards from it, I'm sure they would have shown up by now. Our new well was treated with chlorine when it was dug in 2004, but it hasn't been treated with anything since then
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 5:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2008