Just wanted some opinions...(Repost and PIOG)

I was wondering what other families have done?

I want to move my DD to a toddler bed (actually just convert). She will be 3 in a few months. I wanted to do it at the age of 2 but her Dad asked to wait one more year, and since we were moving I agreed to wait until she settled into our new home. He is still a little weary about making this transition as am I but I think that it is about time that we do it.

My MIL believes that we need to wait until she is night time potty trained. She is almost daytime trained all on her own. I think that if we wait that long she will be 4 by the time she is out of her crib. She believes that if we give her that "freedom" then she will not sleep anymore and be in her room playing when it is bedtime or be up wandering the house in the middle of the night. I had planned on putting a gate at her bedroom door so that she can't get out.

I believe that my SO will side with his mother on this one and I plan on fighting to get my DD out of a crib this summer. I was just wondering if any other families exist that have waited this long or if we are just a really weird family?

Sorry this was so long.

coala

Asked by coala at 9:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• We put DD into her toddler bed when she was around 2 and a half. She normally doesn't get out of bed once we put her there for the night. Good luck!
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We put our son in a toddler bed when he was around 3 years. Yes, he got out of bed sometimes at night but not usually to play. Mostly he came into our room and tried to climb in bed with us. We were training him and I felt like it was a good thing to do so if he woke up and had to go to the bathroom, he was able to. I really don't understand your MIL's position on that. I don't see why you couldn't move your DD into a toddler bed.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Forgot to add I don't see why this is your MIL's business. It's one thing to have an opinion but this is really up to you and your DH.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My son was in a toddler bed at 10 months of age. (that's because my kids are 10 months apart). My daughter was in a toddler bed when she turned one. I NEVER had issues with sleeping or them wondering around the house etc at night. They slept in a toddler bed until they were 5 and 4-At that time we bought them both a twin bed.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It will be much easier for your dd to be nighttime potty trained if she can get up and use the potty if needed. I put my twin girls in a toddler bed around 2 and they love it. The main reason we switched them was because they were starting to climb out of their crib and they could have gotten hurt, An added bonus is on mornings I have nothing really going on I can be a little lazy a little longer because if they get up, I wake up for sure but they just play for a bit and dont scream because they want out of their crib!!! Idk if that sounds bad but I have a almost 4 year old son and my girls are about 2 and a half now.. I am exhausted so an extra half hour here or there helps!!!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• As far as the MIL goes, if it becomes a problem, remember she is your daughter!!! My MIL live s in Las Vegas and I am in MI so for the most part I dont have to deal with stuff like that but everyonce in awhile when myself or my DH is talking to her on the phone she does like to throw her opinions in and if she pushes too hard i just tell her thank you but I am their mom and i'll do what I think is best, sometimes she gets upset with me but she had and raised her kids, i need the chance to do that too!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2011