can low iron be bad??

my drs office left a message the other day asking to call them back, so i finally got a hold of them today and they told me my glucose test passed but that my iron level is "very low" (emphasis on the very is how she said it)

so i need to take iron supplements. ill def do that, but my question is... can having low iron be bad at all?

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 3:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Just that it can cause anemia, which can cause other problem and make you tired and pass out. If you take your iron supplement and eat more foods high in iron, you'll be fine. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have had low iron the whole time i've been pregnant but i cant take the suppliments. and all that i have had is really low energy and weakness. I'm 33wks. I know there is something but i really dont know what it is my mind is so drained today. I'd like to see what others say though.
    Anonymous

• Anon - have you looked up foods that are higher in iron? That might help you. Sorry you can't take the supplements.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yeah my energy level has been really low... im tired a LOT and just am not up to do much.... my sisters and mom always ask why are you tired all the time!! bla blah blah!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• No i probably should though...do you know any off hand.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it can! Having low iron puts you at greater risk of needing a transfusion upon delivery. It also is going to make your risk of c-section higher, as you may not have the necessary energy to deliver! I had to take a supplement as well. ;)

One tip: take it with orange juice, or something high in vitamin C: it helps the body absorb the iron better. Do NOT take it with milk, as calcium keeps you from absorbing it (a problem for me, as I was addicted to milk when pregnant!).

For anon: have you tried Blackstrap Molasses? It's super high in iron, and highly recommended for pregnant women as a natural iron supplement.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I found this website that has a huge list with amounts. Hope it helps :)

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• here u go anon

* Liver and other meats
    * Seafood
    * Dried fruits like apricots, prunes and raisins
    * Nuts
    * Beans, especially lima beans
    * Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli
    * Blackstrap molasses
    * Whole grains
    * Iron-fortified breads and cereals (check the label)

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• ew no prob there, i hate milk. i dont drink it.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My daughters iron is low. If your iron is low so is your babies. Iron is essential for developing babies. They (docs) told me iron is important in kids because iron helps bolck to absorption of lead into the blood stream.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008