Is debating about sending my 6 month old to a nursery or keeping my babysitter

What do u think is best...my mom came and spend 3 months with me...so I asked my baby sitter to come in 3 days per week instead of 5 days...now my DD screams her head off when the sitter takes her....mom have to leave in 2 weeks and I am wondering if I should start her in a nursery where she will interact with other kids and get out of the ''stranger anxiety'' phase or keep the sitter...

johnsonbaby03

Asked by johnsonbaby03 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Personally I,d wonder why your baby suddenly doesn't like the babysitter and I think some time in a good nursery is good they get some social interaction time with their peers
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I personally would keep the sitter. I am not fond of the traditional daycare environment for children under 3 is it can be helped. It's organized chaos and imo they loose more than they gain from a switch like that. There is no personal attention in daycare. There is no consideration to your lifestyle or parenting choices in a daycare. They can get social interaction other places. Separation anxiety is normal even in kids who go to daycare every day at that age.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I was wondering the same thing! My DD screams when she is with her, and it takes a while to calm her down...
    I know she have stranger anxiety, when a stranger grown up like my friends or co workers tries to take her she would scream....so i was thinking its was the same with the sitter, but she was with her from 8 weeks old.
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I too was against the daycare but I just want her to be comfortable and happy...that's why I am asking mom's like myself for their expertise advise
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Daycare is kind of a last resort in my book. I understand some people HAVE to use daycare and there is no choice about it. My problem with daycare is that there are so many kids per class room and most state ratios are a little high for my comfort. In my area it is 6:1 fr infants. I could not imagine a person being able to care of 6 infants with the quality of care I would want for my child. There would be no time for hugs and snuggles and there is no way my child could be protected form the other children at all times. Meaning if she is feeding one infant and another one comes and tries to throw a block at my child's head she can't drop what she is doing fast enough to stop it. I have been on both sides of this. I worked daycare and had to leave. It was to overwhelming and the the ratios that are already high were not being followed at either place I worked for. When I had my DS in daycare ...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• he had a new teacher every couple of months because they couldn't keep a staff. He was constantly being bitten and hit because the teachers were given more than any person should have to handle. I am sure there are daycares who are not as bad but nothing compares to the one on one attention your child gets form a sitter. There is not curriculum, they learn through play and experience, they see the same person day after day and there is comfort in knowing that. They get to where they love the person caring for them because they are always there, no shift changes. My DD loves her sitter but at about 9 months she started crying every time I dropped her off. It lasted a few months and t=now she LOVES her sitter at 3. She is upset I don;t work anymore and she doesn't got here. I LOVE that because I know how wells eh was cared for. Social interaction is the least of my concerns. That is what play grounds and the zoo are for
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• SO there is nothing wrong with daycare when it is a must. They are fed, dry and safe from major harm but it imo is not the ideal situation. If private care is an option then there is so much to be gained form that, if you haev the right person.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I chose in home daycare over an in home sitter for my DD. She interacted with their peers, and her DCP following a good curriculum, full of great learning activities. My DD LOVED going to daycare.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks All for ur answers!
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011