Chores

After finding clothes I had washed and folded and asked my daughter to put away tossed back into the dirty clothes, I decided to teach her to do her own laundry. At eight some feel this is to young. I really just want her to see that it takes time to do this and her clothes don't just magically appear on her bed. She has actually been doing a really good job at it and folds clothes better than my husband. I am trying to decide if this should remain one of her chores or if I should take back over since she seems to have learned a lesson.

Her other chores include keeping her room, playroom, and bathroom clean. Picking up shoes in the living room, emptying bathroom trash, and setting/clearing the table.
Do your kids do more or less chores?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe it's a good thing that you are showing her responsibility and she is actually following through with it correctly. My children are 8,7 & 5 & they have chores: vacuuming, setting & clearing the table, cleaning their own dish after meals, putting dishes away, sweeping, helping with laundry (fold & put away), make their beds, keep their homework desk neat, emptying trash, wipe bathroom sink, etc. Some things they just help with, others they can do completely. Of course I have to use reminders, and I don't expect them to do things perfectly, but I want them to understand there are responsibilities as individuals even within a family, I want them to be able to do things for themselves when they're adults & I especially want them to understand I'm their mother, not their maid. I actually don't mind doing everything, but it wouldn't teach them any of those mentioned if I didn't involve them.
    MamisAngels

Answer by MamisAngels at 11:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Its a great lesson for kid's to learn early so they learn to appreciate what is done for them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would leave it, do you know how many adult women don't know how to wash their own clothes or cook a simple meal?

My girls (age 2 and 5) put away their clothes, unload dishes, make their bed, clean their room, pick up the toys from the rest of the house, put their dishes in the sink and empty their bedroom trash into the bigger can.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm so glad you are one of the parents that make their kids DO things! My BIL did not know what a raw egg looked like at 19 years old, AND he didn't even know how to BEGIN washing clothes. I still tease him about it! lol I think it's find and you should leave it. Responsibility is a part of life- you're teaching important life skills here! Good job!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• you should keep her doing it.
    JoyJoy

Answer by JoyJoy at 12:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I say let her continue doing it! That's great that she knows some responsibility at such an early age! It sounds like she's good at it too. lol :)
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011