I need advice/tips on potty training my 3 year old son.

I need advice/tips on potty training my 3 year old son. He is ready to be potty trained. He knows when he is going to pee/poop. We was working on potty training him a while back but got off track and stopped due to having a newborn in the house. Well, Kaitlyn is now 4 months old and Caleb can start preschool in August IF I can get him potty trained (at least during the day). He was doing good..he still had accidents to where he peed in his underwear. He would get too into playing and not stop to come tell me he had to go to the bathroom. He wouldn't go naked below the waist. So, what advice/tips do you ladies have for me?

Alisha0810

Asked by Alisha0810 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/potty-learning-mom-informed-style.html

read and try this. It's how I taught my son and he was day and night trained with next to no accidents in 4 days. Within another week, no accidents again.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• With my son i punished him if he pooped or peed in his pull up by time out or taking his favorite toy away for a day. also when he peed in the potty i would reward him. we had a sticker chart for peeing that has now developed into a good boy chart, and a candy jar for poop. when he got the hang of peeing in the potty i put strictly underwear on him. i took him to the bathroom to pee every hour, hour and half to let him try to pee. 2 hours always seemed too long and he would have an acident. he wouldn't poop in the potty tho so i watched him, he would go to the same spot everyday around the same time, so i would set him on his little potty with a book or something to occupy him around that time until he pooped. it took a couple of days but one night before he was getting in the tub with his dad he went in the potty and hasn't done it in his pants since. well except when he's sick and can't make it but that happens
    jambalaya1912

Answer by jambalaya1912 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Make a game out of it. Throw some cheerios in the toilet and tell him to aim. Buy a penny candy machine at Toys R Us and everytime he goes let him get some candy from it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Whoa, I do not suggest punishing him. Wow, that's no good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It's going to be a matter of persistent. Get ride of diapers/pullups and just switch to underwear. I found that setting a timer to remind us when he was likely to need to go helped. I would just tell him that when the timer goes off, it would be time to go to the bathroom. That helped keep him dry until he was consistent about going without being asked (even when playing). Small rewards for milestones helped us (i.e. getting a reward for staying dry all day, for pooping in the potty, etc). What you use as rewards is dependent on your child's interests. Just remember that accidents will happen. In my experience, just taking him calmly in to get changed and reminding him of the need to use the toilet worked better than getting angry/frustrated. I know others will recommend punishing him when he has an accident, making him cleanup, etc but I found that staying calm and just dealing with it worked best.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We have a 6ft privacy fence outside with no close neighbors, so I let my step-daughter run outside butt-boonky one day, she peed all over herself and we never had an issue again. My son, on the other hand, was more difficult. The best thing I did was get rid of the pull-ups. Get some underwear with his favorite cartoon characters and explain that they don't like to be pee-peed or pooped on. That helped some. And LOTS and LOTS of praise for going on the potty. Make it sounds like the coolest thing ever. Plus my son was more inclined to try if I tried with him.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i have 2 boys and i live in the country i let the boys (when warm) to pee on a tree which they thought were great i never tried to potty train sittin down to pee and with the poo part i would buy underwear on sale without him knowing (spiderman batman sponge-bob) i gave him a pair too start off with and i told him that (ex...batman) didnt want to get poo on him and he dont want u too wear him if ur goin to poo on him and as funny as this sounds it worked
    amber8406

Answer by amber8406 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011