So....... why exactly does NY deserve a shuttle?

or California for that matter. Just one of the the many reasons those cities should not be honored with a retired shuttle is the fact that it will cost 28 million to get the shuttle there. Are New Yorkers happy their tax dollars will be bringing a shuttle there? Unless they are total NASA space nuts I can't see why they would relish this thought. California? They do make some shuttle parts there but they are far from being able to afford this shuttle in their bankrupt state.
Neither state sacrificed lives for the shuttle programs, houses the training centers for the astronauts or is the communication base for astronauts in space. They do not have people living there whose lives revolve around Nasa every day and would willingly do anything to have a retired shuttle where it really belongs.
Once again Obama has given TX the back of his hand showing just what a vindictive Chicago politician he is.
Feel free to dispute this but you can't win.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with you. It shouldn't go to New York or California. I think Florida or Texas would be more appropriate.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 10:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The shuttle should go to the National Air and Space museum. PERIOD
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I was actually hoping for Ohio. I have relatives in the area, so they were posting some info about the museum recently.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with Vbruno!! Also, NY isn't getting the shuttle...the Smithsonian Museum is getting the shuttle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Vbruno, The Smithsonian Air and Space museum was a foregone conclusion as was Kennedy in Florida.
    Also, tyfry, NY Is getting a shuttle. There are 4 shuttles, the remaining 2 were in contest. I state my reason California and NY should NOT be the ones to get the final 2. Purely political, it's obvious.
    " Washington, D.C.; New York City, Los Angeles and the Kennedy Space Center in Florida"

itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

********************
    NY is getting the prototype of the Enterprise.
    The Smithsonian also will transfer the shuttle prototype Enterprise to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York City. The Intrepid is a decommissioned U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.

The shuttle Atlantis, which is being prepared for the 30-year-old shuttle program's 135th and final flight this summer, will stay in Florida, roosting at the Kennedy Space Centre Visitor Centre.

Endeavour, which is now at the launch pad for its final liftoff on April 29, is promised to the California Science Centre in Los Angeles.

And Discovery, which completed its final mission last month, will go to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Centre in northern Virginia
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Guess we posted basically the same thing around the same time Steph :)
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• President Obama didn't decide where the shuttles are going, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden was the one with that responsibility. I don't think Obama is perfect by any means, but seeing people jump on him over every little thing is getting pretty old. If this was such a politically motivated decision, why didn't Chicago's bid win? I'm guessing that NY and LA won because those two museums are more likely to be able to handle the cost of moving and maintaining the shuttles.

Still, I agree that Houston should receive one of the shuttles. Texas children need all the science-oriented educational attractions they can get to help counteract the crazy crap the Texas School Board did to their text books. Those poor kids! :(
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well, I live in CA, near the science center, so i am somewhat biased lol
    Im looking forward to seeing the endeavor here very soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2011