Is it true that newborns don't smile??

It LOOKS like he's smiling. He was lying on my chest and he opened his eyes and when he made eye contact with me he got this big happy bright "smile" on his face. Everyone keeps telling me it isn't a smile. Why? What else could it be than him being happy to see his mommy?

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 3:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It def. looks like they are smiling. And they actually are smiling. But they dont know that. Babies dont know what smiling is. They figure out their nerves in the face and play with them. But its the cutest thing in the world :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• no they do smile and it is ohhh so sweet
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I always beleived they are smiling!! i dont care what other people think.....it made me happy to think they were just happy!!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 3:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• they look happy, but mine didn't full on smile till he was about 20 days old.
    WldHrts

Answer by WldHrts at 3:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They are able to smile when they are content and when they sleep and stuff. But you get the true happy smiles as a reaction to you when they are older. Right now it's more like a reflex.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They definitely can smile, but it's a reflex (as PP said). Enjoy them anyway, but trust me, when it's a real smile, you'll know, and it will be SO much better! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They smile, but it's not intentional. They don't understand that they are smiling and their muscles aren't strong enough/cordinated to do so, it's more reflex and muscle exercising
    Anonymous

• To me my son smiled at me when he saw me for the first time!! i dont care what anybody says he smiled... alot of people say they smile when they have gas, thats sort of true some babies do... but my son smiled and its wasnt gas!!
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 4:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They'll do it more and more as they see your reaction. Just because it is a reflex doesn't meet it isn't triggered by your face and your presence. It took my son a few weeks to really smile, if your new born is smiling at you now, don't let anyone take it away from you!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I was always told it was gas!! You'll be able to tell the first time they smile!
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008