Any advice for helping get my tween to school on time?

My eleven year old is often late to school. I think our morning routine needs changing. My husband and I get up about 45 minutes before she needs to leave (we mean to get up earlier, but hit snooze button three times). My daughter gets herself dressed, but I still do her hair (it's super long, curly, and tangly -- but do other 11 year olds do their own hair?), then I make her breakfast and lunch and get her backpack together while her dad gets dressed to take her to school. (I work at home.) Any suggestions? Big thanks.

amandarobb

Asked by amandarobb at 11:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Wake up earlier. From the sounds of it, it is more the parents fault then the child, since they are doing eveything for her.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would wake up earlier and teach her how to do her own hair. Have you considered maybe cutting it? Maybe that would help also.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You obviously need to get up earlier and stop hitting that snooze button!!! Maybe you should think about cutting your daughters hair to a length she can do herself.

Answer by older at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Make her lunch the night before and stop hitting snooze. I manage to get three kids out the door within 45 minutes so you guys seem to need a little more organizing.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yep get up ealier. My dd is now 12, shes been doing her own hair now for awhile. I did cut some it off cause it was long and she wanst getting it brushed too well. She was being lazy about it.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• prepare her lunch the night before, or at least have everything ready so that preparation takes less time. If DD doesn't want to cut her hair, try braiding it at night before bed, it'll not be as tangly. DD is 11 and has that same type of hair. She does it herself. The backpack also needs to be prepared the night before. If DD gets up before you do, have her come into your room so you get up earlier. Good luck!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• the night before make time to brush and braid her hair do it in two braids. then set ur alarm for 1 hr 15 mins before u leave. that way u can hit the snooze a couple times. when she gets up un do her hair or leave it the way it is. then u wont have to brush is before she leaves
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well, every suggestion I was going to offer has been given . . . smart mommas :o)

I have four kids, it saved a lot of time by getting their lunches ready the night before. As far as backpacks, getting them set up for the next day was part of our homework routine. Soon as homework was finished they packed them back up and set them by the door.

Setting out the next days clotes before bed was a huge timesaver as well. We would often braid my daughters hair to make it easier in the morning. At eleven she was helping with her hair, getting it brushed and I would help with whatever hairstlyle she wanted till she learned it herself. As far as the tangles, we would spray some detangling solution in there and it was so much eaiser to brush.
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 12:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Ran out of room :o) Maybe you and hubby could set your alarm about half an hour earlier, I'm gulity of hitting the snooze button myself. Setting my alarm earlier gave me that extra time to wake myself up. We also started going to bed ealrlier ourselves, it made mornings a bit brighter! Another thing we did with our kids was have them wake up to their own alarms. It's one of those things we don't think about when they are younger but it's important they learn to get themselved up and outta bed in the morning by themselves!
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 12:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My 9 year old has been fixing her own hair for a long time now and she wakes herself up with an alarm clock and gets herself ready completely by herself. I would sit down and explain to her what is going to happen and let her know what is expected of her. She may need more time in the beginning if she's doing everything herself (which she is capable of). The next day, tell her what time dads car will be leaving and leave it up to her to be ready without reminding or arguing. If she doesn't get ready on time, she shouldn't be taken to school, she should stay in her room until her normal time to return home (minus bathroom breaks and lunch). Then she should be responsible for letting the teacher know why she was absent and deal with the consequences. I bet it only happens once or twice. It sounds a little harsh, but it beats having a rough start every single day for the both of you.
    soccer.mom

Answer by soccer.mom at 12:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2011