Bullying--- what do you tell your kid to do - or how to react to it ?

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I always told mine to stand up for themselves any way they thought fit!

Answer by older at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I told my 4-year-old DD to stand up as tall as can, point her finger and yell loudly, "DON'T TOUCH ME." She had to do that only once before the little bully left her alone. Her teachers all tell me now that she let's "no-one push her around." That's my girl!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I tell my kids if someone hits you, hit them bck as hard as you can & don't stop. One thing about bullies is they gonna pick with whoever they think isn't gonna do anything back. So yes I teach my kids to defend themselves cause mom and dad is not gonna be around all the time.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I tell her if there is someone bullying her to tell an adult & if that doesn't help than speak loudly at the bully & tell them to GET AWAY!!! Then if that doesn't work & they are being physical i told her it was ok to fight back if she had to.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 11:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I taught my kids not to take any crap and stand up for themselves..don't throw the first swing but do defend themselves..it has worked like a charm.My kids even stand up for those smaller being bullied.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Bottom line stand up for yourself if you don't you may as well paint a target on your back.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My family stands up to bullies and will defend themselves by whatever means necessary. My oldest was "picked" by one of the school's bullies when he was in the 2nd grade. The kid shoved him out of a moving swing and into the dirt. My son got up swinging. He got in a couple of good punches before the teacher intervened. The teacher witnessed the entire episode. The other child was suspended for a couple of days. Interestingly enough this child has seen a bit of turnaround in his behavior.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have told both of my kids to not put up with someone bullying them. They are both worried about getting in trouble at school (probably because they talk a lot about no tolerance and the kids getting into big trouble in the Principal's office). I told them both that I would never be mad at them for standing up for themselves or someone else against a bully. Schools sure talk a good game about no tolerance, but it seems that they aren't as effective at implementing rules as they are coming up with them in the first place. Sometimes, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My kids are really no longer kids (24 in a couple of weeks and 21 later this fall). IDK, maybe we were just lucky because we never had a problem, ever. Never were bullies and never were bullied. One of my kids is shy by nature and the other is gregarious and knows no enemy, and neither had an issue in this area. Could it be the sign of the times? A current hot button issue? Catholic schools? Genetics? IDK...glad we missed it.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well, since my kid has been suspended several times for defending himself, we have told him to yell as loud as he can 'leave me the hell alone!'. And if he got in trouble for saying 'hell', we would deal with that. This came after a kid was hitting him in class, the teacher saw, and thought it was funny, a joke. Unfortunately, we found out AFTER the quarter was over.
    On the bus one day, my son was sitting by the window. This brat was hitting him in the head with a marker. My son yelled at him to stop it. Kid marked all over his face. Son jerked his arm, as if to hit him, little monster punched him in the nose. I would have pressed charges except my son had a pencil in his hand, and 'stabbed' the kid in the forehead with it. Drew a little blood, but hey, whatever. Driver didn't see or hear anything. My son did exactly what he should have, kid got more aggressive. Both were suspended. WTF was my son supposed to do??? cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011