Why do I get so upset over.....

my son is 7 months old, and he has a yucky cold :( I know he's gonna get sick through out his life many times and sometimes much worse than just a cold! I totally understand that it's normal and just life and I know that they need to get sick to build their immune system, but why do I get so sad and depressed when he gets sick, I just hate seeing him uncomforatable, I feel like I'm being a bit dramatic, but I don't know how to not feel this way. Has or does anyone feel this way when their children r sick?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 11:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mom, it is totally normal for you to feel this way, most of us moms don't like to see their kids sick, but you got to make the best of it. Just take the time to pamper and cuddle.

Answer by older at 11:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well if this is your first child it is very normal. If not, well your his mom. We feel bad when they feel bad. Let me ask you a question...are you a stay at home mom or a mom who works outside the home and when you do is your son in day care. When my son was young I worked out side the home and when he got sick there was always comments about how and why he got sick. Those germs from others at daycare. Kids get sick, in daycare or at a playdate or in a mommy and me. When he starts school he'll be the one with no absences ( I know that's along time off). In joy him and don't worry. P.S. My pediatrician was always very careful not to do any of his innoculations until he was totally clear of any signs of a cold.
    cluelessme

Answer by cluelessme at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• NORMAL! Its one of the FEW things us moms CAN'T fix. The best we can do is to try to help make them comfortable, so also as a mom you know that when we can't make it completely perfect for them it just doesn't feel like we did good enough. Don't get sad you'll just be getting better at playing nurse lol
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I work 3 days a week, when I am not working my son is with me, when I'm at work he has a nanny that comes to my house. But I do take him out often with me! Everywhere I go he pretty much goes too (store, mall, etc.).
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Its part of loving your child and being his mommy.. I remember when Max was 13 months old and he got Rotavirus and he was so limp and lethargic which he had NEVER been up to that point and he was throwing up and had a fever of 104 and I just held him and cried until we got to the ER and still held him while we both cried.. I never expected feeling for so bad for him while he is sick or hurt the way I do.. Its overwhelming some times..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• you just care bout his feelings and pains its ok your his mommy
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Because you feel like you've done something wrong and you haven't. As you've said, getting sick is NORMAL. It happens and it's out of our control. As parents we feel we should be able to PROTECT them from everything, even something as small as bacteria or viruses. Being sick also reminds us of our own mortality...we are not immortal. I just babied them, nurtured them through it and life continued as it should. :)
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 4:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2011