6 months old can't eat Cereal....what to do?

My daughter since i started solids ((4 months)) Can not have Rice or Oatmeal cuz it constipates her sooo bad! What do i do to fill her up cuz we are going thru formula like crazy!! And the jars of food just dont cut it

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have u talked to you dr about moving up a stage in food? what about cream of wheat? thinned out really thin?
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Give her REAL food. Bake a sweet potato, avocado. If she can sit up unassisted and bring food to her mouth. Give her some chunks and let her heat it. Cereal is not a necessity. And food before one isn't a necessity, but, since she is already eating away. Stop with the "baby" food and give her the less greasy/seasoned versions of what you eat.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-baby-led-solids-is-and-isnt.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• maybe try to mix fruit in with the cereal to help keep it from constipating her...my babies loved it when I made the rice cereal w/ a jar of baby food fruit...I couldn't feed it to them fast enough. Or maybe try to mix it with a juice instead of formula. The rice cereal is going to be a lot easier on her belly than the oatmeal so I would suggest trying it with the rice first since it is easier for their little bellies to digest.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Rice cereal is NOT easy to digest. It is constipating and gas producing. It sits for hours in their bellies. The reason why it was ever considered a great food is because it is hypoallergenic and not likely to cause an allergic reaction, not because it is easy to digest.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with Bradenismyson. Give her real food. Smash what you are eating, cut it into tiny pieces. Give her bits of soft fruit, cooked veggies, rice, etc.

The other thing to consider, is that her digestive system isn't ready for solids yet. My son, who is 16 months old, did not start eating solids until about 9-10 months. He 'tried' stuff, played with food, and tasted it, but didn't really begin to eat it until he was older. When I fed him with a spoon, he would eat it, but would get very constipated and be very fussy. He simply was not ready yet.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We gave our kids cooked barley and we never fed them with a spoon and we never gave them baby food. It was really good for their fine motor skills, too, because they had to pick it up with their thumb and forefinger. Barley is high in fiber. It will be good for constipation. Don't worry that she doesn't have teeth. She will mash it with her gums. It will be fine. They also loved avocado, and still do (they are 8 and 11 now). It's soft and loaded with good fat and vitamins. I wish I would have thought to give them sweet potato because it's hard to get them to eat it now.

We didn't give them solids until they started reaching for our food (we always ate in front of them). I agree with BradenIsMySon. If you are nursing, solids are optional until age 1. I wouldn't trust formula alone for that long, though. Maybe other moms have opinions about that.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• try omashed potatoes or any soft foods for baby oatmeal with baby fruits
    mirandasmommy09

Answer by mirandasmommy09 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would give her little bits of whatever veggies/fruit I was eating, just mash it with the back of your fork and give her small bites. "Real" food fills them up much better than jarred foods.

Answer by missanc at 12:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• OR - we used to mix a couple spoonfuls of pureed prunes, plums, or apples in with our babies cereal. The fiber in the fruits helped counteract the constipating effect of the cereal. (I breastfed and anemic - my kids had low iron and needed the cereal to keep their iron levels up!)

Answer by missanc at 12:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Table food, no jars, formula FIRST though. It's her main nutrition. I know it's pricey, but that's par for the course.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011