• In the Spotlight:

Any Low Carb Ideas Please?

Trying to lose weight by cutting out carbs, any ideas? It's harder than I thought it would be!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 11:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Yeah you need to cut down the serving size and change it.....dump the white carbs: white bread, white pasta, white rice, white potatoes and stick to whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, bulgar, barley...even lentils and beans....they have more fiber in them. Any veggie can go with your meal. Have the lean meat take a quarter of your plate, the whole grain take a quarter and the veggie take up half. Make broccoli, peas, brussel sprouts, eggplant, swiss chard, spinach, cauliflower, etc etc for the veggie. Dinner should be a max of 45 grams of healthy carbs, breakfast and lunch about 30 and a snack about 15
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• usually i just eat a protein like chicken, turkey, steak, tuna, fish, etc. and then pair it with something like salad, veggies, fruit, olives, etc.
    veggies & fruit are not the carbs you want to avoid, the carbs you want to avoid are cereal bread pasta chips etc.
    so anyway theres lots you can eat... for example, when i order chinese food, i get chicken & broccoli, & an order of beef sticks or boneless spare ribs.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There are tons of ideas in google, look them up.

Answer by older at 11:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• When I do low carb I usually do hard boiled egg for breakfast, string cheese as a snack, salad for lunch with meat (like a chef salad or antipasto) and then meat and veggies for dinner (fish with broccoli, chicken and asparagus, etc). For me, I get headaches if I eat zero carbs so I usually try to have one complex carb per day in the form of a Kashi granola bar or a bowl of oatmeal, but I eat it by mid afternoon so it isn't in my stomach later in the day or evening. You can also do sugar free snacks or treats, sugar free jello and pudding are good to satisfy the sweet tooth without introducing sugar and they are very low calorie.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If you're craving something sweet...you can take a 1/2 a cup of ricotta cheese, add 1 splenda, 1/2 tsp of almond extract and some slivered almonds mix it all up and you have a low carb dessert.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• What specifically are you having trouble with? I've been doing lo-carb for nearly 14 years and I think it's super easy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I find it difficult to put meals together, I have the meat sorted, but usually I have potatoe or past or rice to bulk up a meal, but obviously I can't do that now, and other than salad to put with meat & fish I'm all out of ideas!
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The most important thing about doing low carb is to have a wide variety of lean meats stored in your freezer to pull out when you need them. Get fresh veggies once a week if you can. I do mostly low carb but I do allow myself one day a week to have sweets or carbs. There are so many recipes online you can find and on my earlier entries in my journal cookbook on my homepage here at CM I have some of my low carb recipes listed.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 5:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011