What is the best way to break away from the bottle??

mirandasmommy09

Asked by mirandasmommy09 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just took them away. They both were using sippy cups. Also neither child had an attachment to the bottle. I didn't let them fall asleep with the bottle before bedtime, I never gave them a bottle at bedtime. But they also had their own self soothing methods. My son had a Paci and daughter sucked her finger
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There really is no easy way. You just have to stop using them. Every mother I know had trouble taking away the bottle, myself included. It's not easy, and there's a lot of crying; but once you get through it, it's over.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I just took them away all at once and said no more. The first night it wasn't that bad but he cried himself to sleep. The second night was he** he already knew what was up. After that it was a peice of cake.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I always had another baby two years later so with my oldest she was just about to turn two when her brother was born and we told her to give the baby the bottle since she was a big girl now. It worked, same with our son when our youngest was born. Now the baby is about done with it, I have a friend who has a baby and we are getting ready to give her bottles to the baby. Its like a right of passage.
    athenagmb

Answer by athenagmb at 12:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• For my DD we started giving her a sippy at meals or throughout the day so she was really only getting her bottle at nighttime. Eventually I just started giving her the cup of milk at night instead of a bottle and she didn't really notice or seem to mind, so then I just kept doing that and got rid of the bottles. She called her bottle her bobby so I would just hand her the sippy but still say "here is your bobby" and she was fine with it. Once in a while she would ask for her bottle and I just told her they were dirty or something and she just kind of forgot about it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• just start taking it a way do show it to her again and show her a new cup. say this is what you will use now because your a big kid now and we use cups.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011