SHOULD YOU LET YOUR BABY SLEEP IN THE BED WITH YOU

SHOULD YOU LET YOUR BABY SLEEP IN THE BED WITH YOU ARE IN HER BABY BED

lizze111

Asked by lizze111 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine all slept with me and never had any issues or accidents. Now should they>? I dont know? I think its a personal choice.

Answer by gemgem at 4:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• a baby should NOT sleep on a smooshy bed. Even though they are very young they can still roll over and suffocate. They sell "nests" for babies so they are safer in your bed and then you will not roll over on top of them.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't think it's safe to sleep with a young baby, but many parents disagree. My baby sleeps in his own crib where I know he is safe. I can't even take a nap with him with me, I worry too much that I will roll on him or he will put his face into my pillow... but I'm a worrier.
    My other concern is that it's a bad habit to start... the baby will at some point need to go to the crib... why not start when they are too young to care? So many of my friends still have 3 year olds in bed with them, and that isn't something that my husband and I wanted.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• as long as there is no way for them to easily roll around and suffocate i think its a personal decision.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My 3 weeks old son sleeps with my husband and me. We have a co-sleeper baby bed that goes in between us. It's SOOOO useful since I breastfeed him!! I would be so worried if he slept elsewhere so I'm glad he sleeps with us.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my son slept with me from the time i came home from the hospital til he was 4 i was scared he might die from sids my youngest brother did on my 6th b-day so i was freaked out
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't think so, though my son has slept with us, lol! He wakes up an hour or two before I usually do, wanting to be fed, so I bring him into bed with us and then fall asleep while he nurses. It's SO nice to sleep that way...though I also find it really scary. I make it so that I can't roll over on him without severely twisting my arm, but still...scary! He spends most of his time sleeping in a bassinet RIGHT next to me, and it works GREAT. I can still hear him breathing, but he's completely safe and comfortable.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• whatever works for you and your family.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Co-Sleeping is VERY dangerous. When YOU are asleep you dont realize when you roll over ect. you could hurt the baby and it could suffocate.

I never let our baby sleep with is, since my OBGYN and midwife told me about this when i was still pregnant. The risk is too high to hurt you baby.

And remember, co-sleeping becomes a habit, you will have lots of trouble trying to make your child sleep in the own bed someday.

Our daughter sleeps in her own bed since she was born. The first 8weeks she was sleeping in the same room (in her little newborn crib). After the 8 weeks she slept in her own room in her own bed. The first few weeks in her own room we left the door open - our bedroom is right next to it. And we could hear her just fine. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i am so sick of people saying that co-sleeping is dangerous.
    have you done any research or are you just going by what people say?
    these factors make co-sleeping dangerous. take them away and co-sleeping is actually safer.

of course this is a personal decision that each family needs to make on it's own but i am tired of hearing the same statements trotted out whenever co-sleeping is brought up.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2008