Do you buy the shampoo & hair products from your salon?

The lady that does my hair got mad at me because I won't buy the shampoo from her salon..I said it's way to expensive....I go to Target/Wal Mart for my hair products

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Well she shouldn't have gotten mad, but salon products are more concentrated and the use less harsh ingredients. lots of drug store products have wax, and stripping agents that can make your hair lose color faster, be drier, and don't have proteins in them to keep your hair in optimal condition. If you spend money to get your hair colored, the salon products are worth it,, perhaps use salon shampoo and conditioner, and save the drug store products for styling aids?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I get a leave in conditioner from them and a heat defense spray.... Usually one about 15$ total, so about what I would spend any where else.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Sometimes I do.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't think her approach was appropriate, and sadly may have turned you of to something beneficial. Salon shampoo and conditioner will last you four times longer than wal mart shampoo. Stuff you can buy at walmart contains wax, glycerine, and other products that can actually be quite damaging over time, or just not get your hair to it's full potential. Before I went to beauty school I used it too, I just thought I had crappy hair and that was it. My hair has done things I didn't know possible from the switch. Salon product is a wonderful thing. Also, if you are getting your hair colored and trying to keep the color, cheap shampoo will strip it right out. If you spend all that money to get your hair done, why not take care of it properly?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• She might get a commission from the products she sold- so that might be why she is mad you did not buy from her. My cousin is a stylist and I ask her what salon brands she recommends and will either ask her to pick it up for me (and pay her) or I will buy it at the salon.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011