HOW CAN A MOTHER DROWN HER KIDS???????

I am sick to my stomach, I just saw the news and feel like crying! A mother from NY drove her van in the hudson river with her 4 YES 4 kids in it, they were 11mths, 2yrs, 5yrs and 10yrs old.. WHO DOES THIS??? The 10 yr old escaped and everyone else died! Dear God.. My kids are 11mths and 6 yrs and i can't imagine such a terrible death! This has ruined my day!! How can someone raise kids all that time and kill them??? How?? OMG my heart is breaking!

JenzAmomOf2

Asked by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Untreated depression would be my guess.

Answer by gemgem at 12:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• OK,,be depressed, and kill yourself, not your babies!! What a terrible way to die!
    JenzAmomOf2

Comment by JenzAmomOf2 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i know :( its horrible. i live 20 minutes away from where this happened. so sad
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• People who have postpartum depression. I know it's a horrible thing but you don't know what the mothers mind set was.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Actually I think she should probably have been treated and not killed herself or her kids. This sort of thing happens all the time, they just dont all make the news.

Answer by gemgem at 12:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Mental illness removes all ability to make rational decisions. It is a horrible thing but we don't know the history. While I grieve for the innocent ones lost I try hard not to judge other Mothers. It could turn out she is terribly ill..or a cold hearted bitch...but the fact is we don't know.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I grew up in Newburgh, I don't think I could ever look at the river front and Gulleys the same ever again. My those babies Rest In Peace in Gods Arms.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I just saw the news they said she was fighting with her husband. Still the kids did not have to die with her!! I'm glad the oldest got out!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Aside from any mental illness, how anyone could not see this coming is beyond me, this type of mental disorder can not happen over night. My heart aches as well, for those who drowned and specially for the one who survived.

Answer by older at 12:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Being mentally ill is probably a good start. There's no excuse in the world, but I'm sure there are reasons behind this tragedy. No, it's not likely that this mental illness manifested overnight, but it's possible that it's been getting worse and worse over the last several years without treatment. Her support system, if she had anyone to help (anyone ever feel like they're raising kids alone?) , may have missed the signs, ignored the warnings, or just plain wasn't there. It's a terrible tragic shame that this family didn't getg the help they needed until it was too late. :(
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011