Road trip ideas

going on a road trip, about 12 hours. trying to think of things to do with my 9 and 7 year olds to keep them busy. any suggestions? also and ideas for snacks that arent too messy? we dont have a dvd player in the car but i think im going to take my laptop to play movies.

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• We traveled across country many times due to being a Navy family. My boys loved to play the license plate game, tried to get the trucks to honk and kept track of how many. They had paper and would write notes to thers cars like "traveled XXX miles" or something silly like "blink 7 1/2 times" Thjey played hangman, I spy, 20 questions. We had talks about 'what would you do..." and make up different scenarios where they would have to make good or bad choices and discuss the choice. 12 hrs is a walk in the park. 4 days is torture..lol Snacks..trail mix was always good, jerky,water bottles with pop up or screw caps. I always had to make sure they each had a 'barf bag' close by and took their Bonine. my kids would get sick in the car after about 45 mins if I didn't.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• books on cd form the local library, window markers , small toys even a few new ones from the dollar store, While the computer my play DVD's it will only play one with out and ac adapter!  Little road trip games like mad libs.  Those color wonder books are cool for the car as well. 

Snacks? 

banana's, bite size anythings (100 calorie packs are great for that) and clear drinks like water bottles and caprison (freezing a few caprisons make excelent ice packs!)

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Movies are a life saver on long trips!! They have coloring/activity packs that attach to the back on the front seats and they are like little tables, they can color, draw,eat on them.... Books are a good thing, music,

For snacks, cheese sticks, fruit snacks, chex mix, trail mix, those snack crackers ( cheese, peanut butter filled) pre made popcorn , I love the white cheddar kind! Have fun!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My 11 yo likes to take a map and write down the names of all the towns we'll be passing, he marks them off as we go past. Also - depending on your religion, you might like Adventures in Odyssey. They are Christian based audio CD books. My kids (9, 11, and 13) love the stories, and I enjoy them as well - it's good for all ages and we agree on that rather than trying to find music we all like. Our church has them in their library, but sometimes you can find them on the radio as well.
    We usually stop at rest areas for snacks, so I can't help you there.

Answer by missanc at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I always have a bag of a few of my sons favorite toys and a few coloring books and crayons. It keeps him entertained for hours. Snacks I usually take are things like chewy granola bars, dried fruits, and little snack baggies of their favorite cereal. as far as drinks I always get something with a lid. Usually water, gatorade or something similar.
    mrsbentley07

Answer by mrsbentley07 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Fisher-Price Doodler is always a life-saver in the car. (My husband even loves it!) Get the full size.

Another option is bringing the IPOD with a double headphone, for them to take turns picking songs.

We always do dry cereal in plastic baggies for snacks. And, cheese sticks (in a soft cooler).

Have fun!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• play the i spot game or guess what kind of cars you pass or what if game and for snacks the single pringles or the crackers you dip in the little cheeses that come with it or apples celery raisans gl and have fun
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My kids were 9, 7 & 2 when we did our first big road trip. The older ones each had a game boy and shared games. They also made lists of license plates from other states. They took their stuffed animals and made up games with them and kept the little one fairly well entertained. We stopped often to see different places and anything that interested us. I also had a boat load of dvds and my laptop and they never touched them. Then again, my kids are freaks who would rather read than watch tv.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My kids aren't that old yet but my sister had my niece and nephew keep a road trip journal at that age. I thought it was a really great idea. Educational and something for them to look back on. Although they weren't so fond of the idea at the time but they did it
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011