Where can I buy shirts for under brace?

I have purchase one underarmor shirt for my son who will be full time in a back brace as of 4/15/2011. The shirts have to be skin tight with no seams on the side so the brace doesn't cause marks or discomfort as the shirt will be under. I can't afford 25.oo/ shirt for this. Does anyone know where I could get something that might work. I tried buying shirts to small but unfortunately they ended up to short too. I am afraid to use tank tops because it leaves skin exposed under the brace. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

mrsbentley07

Asked by mrsbentley07 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hi my husband is an orthotist who makes braces, I just called him and he said the best bet is to buy the shirts or have them order it for you where your son got the brace, sometimes you can have insurance pay for them,, if not he suggested buying 2 and then just washing them,, the other suggestion he had was a swimsuit like surfers wear, but he thinks that might be more than what the office can provide,, hopefully your kiddo will be back in action soon. He also said the office might give you a discount if you ordered a few of them,, hugs!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• So, I know this is for your son, but since it is just for underneath, bare with me. Kohls sells very soft, thin, long T-shirts in the girls junior section . . . they usually have great sales. They might be narrow and long enough to cover all of the exposed skin . . . and many are actually not "feminine", as they have rock emblems and such. It might be worth a try . . . if he is elementary school age.

If he is younger than that, try Target or Walmart.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• ummmm maybe a shirt like the wife beater(sorry i cant recall the name) ummm i knew a kid in middle school that wore one. brb im going to search for him and find out what he wore. ill send u the information soon. im sorry that ur son is dealing with this. gl
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 12:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If we are just talking about an undershirt....Have you ever had a really bad sunburn and it was only comfortable to wear a crewneck tee like knagsmom said or a regular tee but to wear it INSIDE OUT? I know it might sound strange but at least the seams wont rub directly on his skin.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• below is what he wrote to me.

I just wore a cotton tshirt underneath. She may want to invest in just plain white, crew neck shirts. What I learned was that wearing a non, cotton shirt was uncomfortable. Especially if it was patterned/textured. It would get sweaty inside, especially in warmer months.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 12:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i was thinking a tank top also and mayb a little skin exposed but better then other ones you find and maybe those silk shirts well not really silk the sports guys are wearing them and you can find at walmart if you find or know what a wrestling singlet is its that material sorry if confusing i dont really know the name of what im thinkin but kbnow what im talkin bout to look for myself if you would like to message me later i could ask my son and find out for you
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• For any clothes that will be temporarily worn, I'd suggest a thrift store. Cheap, already broken in, just give it a wash first and you're good to go. I've found so many comfortable thrifty clothes in thrift stores like the Salvation Army and Good-Will. My son had a half body cast when he was 5 and I had to buy some clothes that I could cut and modify for him to wear over the cast. I didn't mind cutting up a two dollar pair of work out pants to pin on the sides of his body. Worked out great!
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 4:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Wow thanks ladies. You all were so helpful. He is now in his brace and we got 3 underarmour shirts and a few cotton tshirts. I appreciate all your help.
    mrsbentley07

Comment by mrsbentley07 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011