In the State of Indiana, a boyfriend signs a birth certificate thinking he is the father and dna test proves he is not, is he responsible for child ?

Denise0527

Asked by Denise0527 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I believe so, he can go to court though and be removed I think?

Answer by gemgem at 12:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• http://www.ehow.com/how_5218999_name-removed-birth-certificate.html hope that helps....
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It is his decision. He can raise the child as his own. He can step aside and let the sperm donor take over. Can I get some details like,where is the dad?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I believe Indiana is the same as Missouri, so would agree with OP. I used to file birth certificates in a hospital. One point we always stressed to the parents was NEVER put the father's name on the BC unless there is no doubt he is the actual father. In Missouri, the parents have until the child is 18 to put the father's name on the BC, so there is plenty of time to wait for DNA testing. The only way to remove the father's name is through the courts.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• and yes. My ex signed the BC as the father. this child LOOKS NOTHING LIKE HIM ( i know that doesnt really matter) BUT the child looks nothing like the mother either. she was prego before they got married... anyways IN Child support says (child is 15 now) but that He signed the BC ... Child support is ordered and it would take more time and money to go through the bs to do all that needs to be done. AND THAT HE IS THE ONLY FATHER THAT THIS CHILD KNOWS AS DAD.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Father is in Indiana. They were dating off an on, then quit. The child is 3yrs old and she never wanted support as she told him he was father, but found out she was dating around. When it comes to court for child support, he requested DNA and he said if he is mine, so be it, i have covered him on insurance since birth but if not then i want to be removed from birth certificate as the real father needs to be found in the event the child has a medical condition that would need his real father.
    Denise0527

Comment by Denise0527 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I know someone right now that is on the BC and isn't the dad. Here's how it works in the lovely USof A. If you aren't married at the hospital, they have the father sign what is called a declaration of paternity. It is a legal document. He is swearing truthfully and wholheartedly that he is the father of this child. He has to sign this before being on the BC. That is what holds it up. So he has to pay child support now. It didn't hold up in court.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• See, he basically in another way adopts the child and assumes responsibility by signing the papers.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• PS.....He has since filed for DNA testing as she is requesting child support...and we are awaiting the testing procedure! Prosecutor's office says if he is not the father a new birth certificate will be issued by State of Indiana.
    Denise0527

Comment by Denise0527 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If he's on the birth certificate he has signed to be the rightful parent of that child.
    I know that he is considered responsible, but I don't know how hard it would be to get his name taken off.
    He should talk to a 'friend of the court' or a 'court lawyer' to find out what he can do about getting him removed from the certificate.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011