Bringing children to church

I'm not much of a religious person, but my fiancée is. We have talked about taking the kids to church on Sundays, but I don't want to force a religion on them. My parents made me go to church every Sunday when I was younger and I hated it because I never really believe in God. My fiancée has even offered to take them by himself because I have no interest in going. I understand that it can be a good teaching for moral views, but I don't want to force them to go. Idk what to do, help!

IrishMomma727

Asked by IrishMomma727 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• How old are they? I would say once they are old enough to have an opinion about going you could discus why they don't want to go and move forward from there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well how old are they? I would let him at least take them. he does have that right in a sense but I get your point too. I married my husband and we both agreed never to force religion on out kids. I would take them here and there when I decided to go but I had a hard time with it and didn't want my kids being forced either. They asked me questions and I would answer honestly.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We go to church and I dont see it as forcing anything. We do it as a family and I do think it is good for them. I have 2 adult children and a teen (along with an 11 and 6 yr old), and my older 3 can go to whatever church they want to. In fact, I am Catholic and my 17 yr old attends a Southern Baptist church with his gf instead. I think it is a good thing to take the kids because they can make an informed choice and not wonder about God or religion. When they are old enough they end up making their own choice either way.

Answer by gemgem at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I had someone give me advice on this.. if you child is hungry but can not speak do you wait until it is old enough to talk or do you feed it? Same with religion - their preference may change when they are older but you are "feeding them spiritual growth. My two cents.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Try it out. If they like it, keep going...if not, don't take them. They wont know if they like it until they try it.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My opinion is this....you "force" them to go to school right? For their educational growth...why not "force" them to go to church for their spiritual growth?

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We have two 3 yr olds (1 boy, 1 girl) and a 6 yr old girl. My son went with his grandpa a couple of weeks ago and hated it and my two step daughters have never been. Their mother is completely against the idea because she she is "Wiccan", but we really aren't taking her opinion into consideration because she is already trying to teach the oldest about wicca.
    IrishMomma727

Comment by IrishMomma727 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• its not forcing until the child expresses they don't like it - in which case as a parent you would need to find out why and go from there. clearly when you were a child you were not given an option even after you decided church wasn't for you, and that is forcing. i can understand your hesitance because of that. as long as you're open minded either way, it's fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• why is Wiccan in " " ? DO you know anything about what she believes?
    Anonymous

• Maybe your son would feel better going to a different kind of church? Have you asked him why he hated it? Maybe he didn't like the kids?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011