I was just told by my manager that I am STINKY?! *UPDATE*

She sent me an e-mail that said she had gotten "several complaints that I smell today and wants to know if there is something she needs to know". I told her considering I showered last night and am wearing clothes that came directly out of the dryer this morning then I have no clue.

I then told her the only thing I have done differently is that I had to use some special ointment on my poison ivy last night and today due to the rash I have.

I am SO pissed right now and offended BADLY. She said there is no reason for me to go home (I asked) but I told her I am leaving anyhow.

I don't know if I am more offended or pissed off.

What would you do? How would you react to that?

I feel attacked and want to cry.

** EDIT ** EDIT ** EDIT ** EDIT **

I purposely had people sniff me (honest people that would tell the truth) and no-one can smell ANYTHING.  I couldn't smell anything either.  I took my clothes off and waited for my SO to come home, he doesn't smell anything.

Why would she say that if it wasn't true? 

This is the entire e-mail convo:

BOSS: Today from several people that you have an order.  Is there a problem that I need to be aware of?

ME: I'm sorry? I don't understand.  **Didn't understand because of her typo where she put "order" and not "odor".**

**I didn't get a response for quite some time from her so I IM'd her at this time to ask the same exact thing I had e-mail... that I didn't understand, only to get the response in the IM of "You smell. I think that says it all." which I felt was VERY rude and unprofessional.  She then responded to my e-mail at the same time.**

BOSS: They are saying that you smell funny today.  I noticed it a little when I was copying.  I hate to say anything but when I get complaints it is part of my job.

--Continued in comments, ran out of room.--

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• So she never told you what exactly you smell like? I don't know but today I would ask her, I am trying to figure out what I smelled like could you define it for me? I mean it is really really odd that one of your co-workers didn't mention it to you, and what about the part Is there something I need to know? I think someone (or her) thinks they smelled booze or pot, if it was a mediciney smell I don't think it would have been mentioned,, good luck momma and chin up!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• First Breath. I am so sorry you are upset by your coworkers. Now take a moment and check that oitment. Is it really that foul? Maybe something is in your dryer? There must be a reason the smell was so unacceptable for them. Maybe you can make a joke of it tomorrow by placing and airfreshioner on your desk. That may break the ice and send things back to normal. Good luck to you!
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• wow I would be offended too. Anyone would be. I guess you should go hom eand then say something nice to your manager like thanks for warning me I'll never use that ointment again, I'm so embarrassed and leave it at that. If you make a big "Stink" out of it then people will make a bigger deal about it..pun intended! Hope your day gets better!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think she handled it in the most discrete and polite way possible...I wouldnt be offended at all but I would probably be embarrassed....alot of people are VERY sensitive to smells so if she received "several complaints" she would have almost no choice but to address the issue...JMO
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would be embarrassed if it were me.

There was a women where i used to work that took garlic pills & she reeked of garlic. I don't think she noticed it because, well...i guess you get used to smells easily. Someone at work told her as friendly & as sweet as they could that they could smell the garlic on her & that they think it was the garlic pills.

They should have came to you personally & tried to sugar coat it, so it would be less embarrassing for you. At least that's what i would have done if i was in your supervisor's shoes.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I just re read your post and she asked you "is there something she needs to know?" part stuck in my head this time, does she think you smell like pot or booze? I do think calamine smells a bit pot like,, I would call her back and ask her WHAT she thought you smelled like! Huggs mamma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That's such a touchy subject, I'm sure she didn't like addressing it any more than you... maybe it was just the ointment! I'm sorry you're having a rough day :(
    LillyJD

Answer by LillyJD at 12:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• That is a conversation that should have been had in person - NOT over email!
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with monshine . . . she should have met with you in private to discuss it. Also, she could have phrased it differently, "I am noticing a very strong smell lately, and I am very sensitive to smells. Is there any way we can lessen it?"

But, honestly, if it was just one or two days, then she should have kept her mouth shut. You only need to bring up something like that when it is an ongoing problem.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I can assure you that your manager confronted you with the issue as the last resort from complaints from coworkers. I say this from personal experience. I was confronted by the manager about a coworker that I was previously manager over at another business. They wanted to know if "I had ever had problems with "T" and her body odor: then they wanted me to confront her, it was a VERY uncomfortable situation telling this girl, who was also my friend, about body odor. It was an issue, I had to agree. "T" was very embarrassed but was grateful they had me talk to her, face to face, not an email or by phone. I have faith you will get past this and try to not stay mad.

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011