For those of you who are not religious and who celebrate Easter with their kids

do you have any discussions with your children about the origin/meaning of the holiday?

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Holidays

• Mine our to young to understand and no I wont tell them what the origin means since I am a non-believer. I will just say there is an easter bunny that does all the work, just like santa and the tooth fairy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Nope! We just have an easter egg hunt. I don't even know why! Just because it's fun.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Like all the other Holidays there is a Pagan and Christian origin... http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter.htm
    The Easter Bunny has his own Pagan beginnings. http://festivals.iloveindia.com/easter/symbols/easter-bunny.html
    Celebrating for the sake of religion or just fun. There are many ways to go over the origins of them.
    Anonymous

• You mean as celebrating the start of spring, equinox, planting, and the pagan celebration of Eostre? Yep.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If we're not religious, why would we?

He's too young to understand anyway.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Religious or not, does everyone realize that as far as real factual history goes that true Pentecost (when Jesus died) is in biblical scholars best guess in June? NOT the Catholic church's combining of the Pagan fertility day and ritual??? People all over the world are celebrating Jesus' crucification and day He rose Months before it really happened?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

Answer by CraftingMama

What she said :)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• "People all over the world are celebrating Jesus' crucification and day He rose Months before it really happened? "

We celebrate Independence Day after it really happened....
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My son is only two right now but this is what I want to do. I do believe in God but I am not part of a specific religion because of all the politics involved with them. I do not promote the easter bunny more than giving my son a chocolate one or Santa or any of he made up secular bits. I want to celebrate many different occasions from different cultures and religions with him. Celebrating is always fun and if you can learn about why each culture or religion does what they do it can be very educational.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Before, sorry--too many kids screaming!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011