Any ideas on how to get them to sleep thru the night?

My youngest kids are 3 month old twins. My other kids were either already sleeping through the night or close to it. They are on a normal day schedule and at night it takes dh and i about an hour to get them to sleep. They don't eat during the night anymore but they do wake up at exactly 3 a.m. every morning to fuss just enough for me to get up and have to give back pacifiers, or rub bellies you know how it is. This sometimes can take close to another hour just to get them back to sleep. Initially i thought maybe they were hungry, but they both refuse bottles at that time in the morning. They are not usually hungry again until 7:30 am but they will still fuss on and off even after i get them to sleep the second time. Any ideas?

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read that if you can help the baby learn how to fall asleep on heir own, if they wake up in the middle of the night like that it will help them go back to sleep too. I have been practicing with my daughter for about a month now and she is sleeping a lot better. To do this I would take her in and put her in her crib when I noticed she was starting to get sleepy and turn on her music bear for her. In the beginning she fussed, and if she fussed for longer than 10 minutes I would go get her, comfort her, and then put her back down. It usually only took one or two times of going back in before she would fall asleep on her own. Eventually she stopped fussing when I put her down and now she goes down without a fight. If she doesn't I know she is just not tired enough for a nap. Within the past two weeks I have noticed she has started sleeping longer stretches at night and taking better naps. Hope this helps!
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 12:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Give it time, they will when they're ready to.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• They WILL sleep more when they're ready. The waking actually puts them at less risk for SIDS, so consider this a GOOD thing. Mom trying to make them sleep usually results in MOM sleeping less and baby not sleeping any MORE.

They're normal... go with it. Your full night's sleep will come again... oh, in 50 years or so... moms never really do sleep a full night because it's always SOMETHING, you know.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Will they fully wake up and cry if you DONT go in there? Are you sure you need to go in there? Your kind of establishing a night time routine with them by going in there. Try to see if they will go back to sleep without touching them at all. Thats all I can think of. Give the pacifier back but no more belly runs.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes unfortunately they wil totally wake up and cry if i don't go in and if its only one fussing he will wake the other lol
    Genice6

Comment by Genice6 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• it is normal for them to do that at that age....i would contenue to go in the room and sooth them till they are around 6 monthes thats when i think they are ready to"cry it out"
    doula-mom25

Answer by doula-mom25 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011