The Founding Fathers were Christians and the United States was founded upon Christian values

Please, try to research unbiased sites FIRST (don't just parrot what you've been told) and THEN tell me if you think the statement in the post title is correct- why or why not?

Oh, and if you're the Anon who shows up with the eye-rolling sweet pea with some smart ass remark every time I post, don't bother- take your immature, attention seeking self someplace else...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have a journal up on it from like 2 years ago. The answer is No the founding fathers were a variety of beliefs some Christian some deist, some with no affiliation at all (Agnostic or Atheist). These varietis were taken into account and a secular government formed so that no one may be persecuted for his beliefs as was happening in Europe
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• (quote: JazzlikeMraz) ""The Founding Fathers" were not Christian they were puritans.. (sp?) "

=======

Wow. I don't even know where to start with that one.

blank stare

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 1:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You realize that until I saw who posted this I was about to do permanent damage to my keyboard?

I've yet to meet anyone who insists on either of those (the FF or the Nation) who could back it up legitimately. Quite a few who excel at lalalalaI'mnotlistening, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• They were not all Christians and the nation was not founded on Christian values/beliefs.. A basic US History class should clear that clear that up for anyone.

In the case of the Puritans. They were not "founding fathers".. The "Founding Fathers" are the men who were the delegates to the Constitutional Convention (in 1787..out of the 55 or 56 that attended only 30 something actually signed the Constitution).. The Puritans were here nearly 100 years before. They were homesteaders for the most part, they had no part in the actual creation of the country (in terms of : the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, The Declaration of Independence... etc).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• This statement comes up ALL the time when discussing The Pledge or In God We Trust and I'm just interested to see how they learned that information.

Well if you think about it don't some of those people also claim that our Pledge or Money ALWAYS had God in them, in which case it is due to their lack of learned informationand neglect of History rather than being taught otherwise.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The founding fathers were not all Christians and the US was NOT founded on Christian values. I hate it when people try to claim that they were all Christians and that this country was founded as a christian country
    LillyJD

Answer by LillyJD at 2:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No the founding fathers were a variety of beliefs some Christian some deist, some with no affiliation at all (Agnostic or Atheist). These varietis were taken into account and a secular government formed so that no one may be persecuted for his beliefs as was happening in Europe

--

I agree w/ Kristi, and several others. They had a variety of beliefs. Several were Deists, and some particularly had problems with the supernatural aspects of the Bible. It's even stated in the Treaty of Tripoli (1796), "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• As PP's have said, No, they were not (at least not ALL of them were, and many were Deist), and no, it wasn't.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If they were all christian, I'd have to wonder why all the greek figures in Washington DC buildings. Why not the figures of Jesus?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• More boring stuff.

Only to those who refuse to educate themselves. When you look at their religious affiliation of many of them, the congregations they belonged to were Deists. There were quite a few that were Protestant unknown. Which can mean a number of things. First they were protesting against the Catholic Church ( DUH) And the other is they really didn't belong to any Church so they could have well been Agnostic or Atheist, which in the true sense of the term Protestant, they were.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011