How big is too big?

My dd who is 10 (definitely in the pre pubery stages) was told by excuse me but the walrus of a pediatrician at her 10 year old well visit that she had gained "too" much weight. She had gained something like 19 lbs in one year which makes her 90 lbs. But also she grew i forget now how many inches also in only one year. I'm 5'6" and shes about 5'1" To me she looks like a normal girl her age. She is pretty self concious at this age right now anyway. This dr. also recommended i keep an eye on her portion sizes. Of course i thought this was crazy because i make it a point to cook healthy and she eats school lunch. (Its not too bad around here) Anyway shes my oldest so is this normal?

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would have her see another dr. for 5'1 it would seem just fine!
    Information Entered
    Age: 10 years 0 months
    Sex: Girl
    Birth Date: January 01, 2001 Height: 5 feet 1 inch(es)
    Date of Measurement: January 01, 2011 Weight: 90 pounds

Results

Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 17.0 , placing the BMI-for-age at the 52nd percentile for girls aged 10 years 0 months. This child has a healthy weight.
    http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Result.aspx?&dob=1/1/2001&dom=1/1/2011&age=120&ht=61&wt=90&gender=2&method=0&inchtext=0&wttext=0

gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• When she really hits puberty she will grow into the extra weight really quick. I might have also asked this walrus Dr, "And WHO is keeping track of YOUR portion sizes"?? But thats just me. Im a bitch like that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• she's 5'1" and 90lbs. that a very normal weight to height ratio. kids have growth spurts constantly. she's healthy and a good weight for her height so don't even listen
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Some physicians are obsessed with weight. My OB discusses weight with all of his clients at every annual . . . I was instructed to lose 10 pounds because I am 10 pound out-of-range.

If your daughter is eating healtfully, then I wouldn't worry about it. You might consider having her see a different doctor for her next well-child if you think this one was out-of-line.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• 90lbs and 5'1" doesn't really sound horrible. While my son is a boy he's 5'2" and weighs 112...I can't even imagine him at 90. My other son is 5'7" and weighs 155, he dropped to 140 and looked like a skeleton. Neither of them look like they need to loose weight.

I think if she is eating well and is active, you have nothing to worry about.

blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Wow thanks and yeah not seeing that dr anymore !
    Genice6

Comment by Genice6 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Walrus! Teehee :)

I agree with the first person, I would have asked who was watching his. When I was pregnant with my 3rd (last yr), I brought up my concerns about losing all the weight DURING my pregnancy and my OB was like 'it's okay, you are fat anyways' (i am overweight, but not obese) and I said "yeah, i suppose we BOTH could stand to lose some weight, huh doc?!?"
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• i I don't think it was the weight so much as the amount gained in one year, that is a lot for anyone to gain in one year and what he might be concerned with is that if it turns into a "norm" there will be bigger issue's down the road.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• my doctor always said that the way to know the correct weight for your child is 10 pounds per age--example a 9 year old should weigh around 90 pounds; a 10 year old around 100 pounds and so on.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i kind of thought it was a lot to gain in one year but she also grew a lot "vertically" lol
    Genice6

Comment by Genice6 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2011