Help! My son isn't talking yet!

my son is 20 months and I'm finding that he doesn't speak as much as other children do. Truly he only says "no" "mama" "and "dada" how can I encourage him to open up more? He is still babbling though.

starlit_kissez

Asked by starlit_kissez at 1:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Read to him, talk to him without using babytalk. Name items when you are out for a walk...tree, flowers, car, stop sign, etc. My niece barely talked until she was over 2 yrs old and then she didn't shut up. She talked nonstop, in sentences. She is now 13, an honor roll student and still talks ALL THE TIME. Every child develops differently. Does your son understand when you tell him something? If you say, Johnny, get me your shoes." Does he get his shoes? As long as he is understanding, he should be ok. If you are worried, then mention it to the doctor when your son goes in for his 2 yr checkup.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Relax every kid does things in their own time... boys take a little longer to talk. my first son was almost three and now my second is 17 mo and he's not showing signs yet either. Talk to your doctor, but I don't think you need to be stressing about it... He'll talk. and when he does it will drive you crazy for the next several years :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Just keep talking to him. Don't use baby talk. Ask him a lot of questions and then show him the answers, while saying them.... Talk to him about everything, the color of his food, left sock on, right sock on.... Now your ten toes are covered! Etc.... Some kids take a little longer to say things. Does he look at you when you are saying things? Does he turn to you when you call his name? If he hasn't started picking things up by his 2 year appointment, I'd say something to his doctor.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• If you are concerned talk to your doctor and see what early intervetion has to say. I wish I had.
    gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He understands EVERYTHING its just I want him to respond with more words then babble. I was really justing asking to see if anyone else ran into this issue.
    starlit_kissez

Comment by starlit_kissez (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My middle son did not talk til he was almost 4. He was in Pre K and one of the other boys in class say he can talk. He did in up in speech for a will. Now he is in Jr. High school. And he talks OK now.

TeresaM35

Answer by TeresaM35 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my son is also 20 months and he dont talk either. the doc said it is ok many kids dont talk until they are 2 and then out of nowhere they just start talking all over. she told me to just keep looking at books and say the name of pictures and try to encourage. each time you give him something say it real slow and clear.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• HOW OLD IS HE ?
    MS.WILLIAMS911

Answer by MS.WILLIAMS911 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2011