Do you ever borrow money from your parents/in laws?

If so how much and how often?

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Never from them. My MIL asked us for money a few years back. She asked for 10K For her eldest son my hubby's brother. We said No. We dont borrow $ to anyone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Right now we owe my mother about $1000
    We owe my gram about $3000

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Unfortunately yes, some we have paid back, others are still there.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My in laws helped pay a few bills right after ds was born (3 years ago) dh and I had just gotten married and got a house, our son wasn't planned, but such a blessing. We paid them back plus 100 for helping us.( total with the extra was like 460$) Worse thing we ever did!!! They still hold it over our heads, and we paid them back within months....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We will borrow $20 here or $10 there for a pack of diapers or something from them but they always tell us not to worry about paying them back and then I feel bad. We have very loving/supportive parents and I love my In laws. They have a lot of money and good jobs so i don't feel so bad. They came to our house a while back and saw we didn't have groceries in the fridge so the next day my MIL showed up with a trunk full of groceries.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Comment by L0vingMy3Girls (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Never.
    Anonymous

• We do the same- $20 here and there or $10 for diapers, and boy let me tell you- they keep track of EVERY penny and want it all back asap! lol Sometimes they even ask for the $ we owe them even when we have ALREADY PAID! It's ok, though, because we all just laugh it off. My grandmother, on the other hand, is ALWAYS trying to give me money! Like, all the time. I go over every month(of course I see her more often than once a month) on the 3rd to do her check book and bills and stuff and take her grocery shopping for the month, and she's always like, "Do you need something? How much gas do you have? When was the last time you got a new pair of shoes?" lol I know she's on a tight budget, so I try to get by without her getting me anything or giving me money, but sometimes it's a necessity and I always pay her right back. She is the sweetest lady- she raised me :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I borrowed some money from my mom and we haven't been able to pay her back yet. I hate it, she brings it up whenever possible and makes me feel horrible. She know that money has been tight and we are going to pay the mortgage and all that before we pay her back. She also told us to take our time when she lent it to us. Never again will we turn to her for help. My in-laws on the other hand do not believe in lending money, just giving it. They also know times have been tight and a check will show up in our mailbox box from them to cover bills with a letter that says, please accept this gift, we want nothing in return. And they never bring it up, ever, that they helped us. I hope when our kids are older and may need help that we will be able to do the same.
    Anonymous

• I have never borrowed money from either my parents or in-laws. We do however send a monthly allotment to my in-laws in India and a monthly allotment to my mother as well. Neither need the money, however as the eldest (my husband is eldest son/I'm eldest of my sibs) it is our responsibility to contribute financially to our parents (it's a cultural thing... )
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• NEVER!!!!

If we are having a hard time we find a way to cut enough corners to make it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011