Hair issues

ok so I have hair a little past my shoulders. enough to put in a ponytail so you can get the visual. very thick hair. i cannot leave it down because its so thick and bushy. well when i go and get it trimmed i get them to use the thinning shears. takes a while for my hair. what can be done to my hair besides having to flat iron it. i would love to cut it shorter and and leave it down but its so thick even after the thinning. i have flat ironed it once. took me an hour to do it. i dont have an hour to just focus on my hair with 3 kids. anyone else with this problem

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Okay knock of the thinning shears,, LOL! It is great for short thick hair, but actually creating more bulk in long hair, Have you heard of Brazillian Blowout? Amazing, amazing,, I am a stylist with your exact hair, and honeslty was so tired of the flat iron over and over, but got a blowout, and barely have to run the iron through it,, Do you have a good flat iron, like infrashine, chi or FHI? worth the investment, you might also want to try real control shampoo and conditioner by Redken,,sounds like your hair might grow fast (mine does) so a shorter style is going to require a haircut more often,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Some folks say the Brazilian blow out works for like 3 months to keep your hair smooth and shiny. I dunno if thats true or not though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm in the same situation. I only do my hair 3x/week. On the days I do do it, it takes me forever ... I wash it with a smoothing shampoo, condition it or I'd never be able to comb through it, dry it with a straightening balm, and flat iron it. Takes me about 2 hours. The days I don't wash it, I usually only have to spend about 5 minutes on it. I haven't figured out any other way to do it.
    Anonymous

• you can get a in-styler, i have thick hair to and it only takes me a half an hour when i use that, but i dont really get my hair done all that often so i cant give any other advice other then the straightener i use >.< sorry
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 1:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• So...this might show my serious lack of culture...but one of my besties is black, and she kept telling me to perm my hair...and I was thinking about how I would look like a poodle if I did a perm on top of a lot of hair. No...she does perm solution and then combs it straight. It did help control some of the volume issues.

For me, short hair has always looked awful because it just bushes out from being so thick. I have a 2 inch wide straightener, and that has definitely cut down on the amount of time I am stuck working on my hair. You will get better at it. I clip mine in sections and do one at a time. I will do one section, get my kids dressed, do another section, start laundry, do another section, etc....I look ridiculous until it is done, but like you said...life doesn't stop for your hair. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011