Do you home can your veggies?

If so, how long have you been canning? What equipment do you use?

Mammaw0604

Asked by Mammaw0604 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I used to do stewed tomatoes with our excess in the summer. I used wide mouthed one quart ball jars and a pressure cooker (not sure what size...always borrowed it from grandma). It really isn't hard. There is a lot of info online about how long the jars need to be in the cooker and cool. I have always wanted to try some jam. Maybe this summer.

My grandma is a big canner...she does everything from jams, veggies, meats, fruits, etc. Always has. It was so much a part of the way she was raised that she laughs at me for some of the things I don't know.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I tend to freeze. This year I am going to can vegies for the 1st time. ( I have done jellies and jams) I will use jars, lids, a lifter and magnet wand, pressure cooker and cute labels. :-). I hot water boiled to seal last year as they were high acid foods. Last year was actually the 1st year I had canned
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• We've intended to for years, but just did last year for the first time - only green beans. We used a water bath canner, quart jars, rings & lids (rings are reusable, lids are not), and that was about it I think (DH did most of it while I worked). This year I'm hoping to do more. I tend to freeze more stuff, like spaghetti sauce, jams/jellies, other veggies.
    Anonymous

• no
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• no, I' m afraid I'd do it wrong and we'd all die of botulism.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011