My almost 3month old son is sucking his thumb is that gonna be an issue for me later on ?

I mean i tried the pacifier he doesnt like it so am i going to have a hard time with him

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep. Hard to take away a thumb. But, for now - it is a comfort.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• at what age is this a cause for concern? and what do i do to stop it
    firstimemommy21

Comment by firstimemommy21 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Okay...3 mos. old - he may or may not keep this as a habit - I read that as 3 years old at first.
    My twins - 21 yrs old - tried the thumb for a few weeks, that was it.
    My youngest son - now 13 - sucked his until about 4 yrs of age and then quit.
    My daughter is 16 and sucks hers still as comfort when she's sick, otherwise she's finished.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thumb sucking is a comfort for kids. It's a self soothing skill. I sucked my thumb until 6th grade (not all the time, just when I was sick or extra tired.) I have never seen a kid walk across the stage to get his diploma sucking his thumb. I know an orthodontist whose kids sucked their thumbs well into elementary school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• This is not an easy thing to stop, your best bet is to try it now, because if you wait for later, it will be impossible. That thumb is always going to be there, this is why is so hard to break the habit , but if you prevent it from being one you might have a chance. Try replacing it with the pacifier, if he doesn't like it put a little bit of milk on it for him to take it and continue doing so until he no longer resorts to the thumb, good luck!

Answer by older at 1:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• In all honesty, MOST kids give it up on their own by 5 or 6 anyway. So, no need to worry. It's his way of dealing with stress.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/stress.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The only real issue with thumb sucking is it could cause their teeth to stick out some (which means braces) but you don't have to worry about that until he starts losing his baby teeth.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I sucked my thumb until I was 12, and my mom said I sucked it while I was in labor with my first son (which I don't remember doing but I don't doubt it). I have had no issues with my teeth or anything. My brother sucked his finger until he was 10, and has the straightest, strongest, most beautiful teeth ever. lol.
    MzHuycke

Answer by MzHuycke at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• my 4 year old still sucks her thumb. I have tried bribing her and everything.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• no not if u stop it when need to and there is stuff you can put on the thumb later to stop him if it does become a problem
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2011