3-year-old Flower Girl?

My daughter (3) was asked to be a flower girl in one of my best friends' wedding. Of course we said "Yes!" I'm wondering if I should start practicing with her for the big day. She is little and I don't want her to be too nervous. Maybe I'm more nervous for her than she really is or will be. Any suggestions on if I should practice with her and, if I do practice, how should I go about it? Any tricks of the trade from moms who have had a young child in a wedding? Wedding is in July.

DragonflyGirls

Asked by DragonflyGirls at 1:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter was turning 4 two weeks after my sister's wedding, and she was a flower girl. Thankfully, her big brothers were ring bearers so they all walked out together. We gave her a basket to play with and pretend to throw petals from. At the church for rehersal we let her walk down the aisle playing as often as she wanted to get her used to the motions.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My niece was three when she was the flower girl in my wedding. We practiced at the church a few times. When the time came, she got a few feet, all the people turned and looked at her and she spun around and ran away. She ended up finding the room I was in and asked me to come with her. I told her I couldn't that I had to wait until it was my turn. After a moment though her dad came and got her and walked down with her. If she had someone next to her I know she would have been fine but going alone was overwhelming.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 1:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My daughter was my flower girl when she was 3. We just briefly reviewed how to walk. (step, feet together, step, feet together). And to throw the rose petals. Well, she threw all the rose petals in her first 3 steps and didn't know what to do. So she started to bend down to pick them up and throw again, when she found a stick. She said "here daddy, I found a stick" And brought the stick up to daddy, AKA, the groom.
    She was really cute and did fine. Don't let her see you stress, let her think it's carefree.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• At our wedding, we had young flower girls, we told them that (pick someone they know out of the wedding party) had gum, and if they walked all the way to them and had empty baskets, they could have the gum. It worked really well, except one of the girls just dumper her flowers right when she walked in and ran... :) it made everyone laugh! Practice having her drop the pedals, while walking, it seems like the younger they are, they want to stop and drop then walk then stop and drop. Use her Easter basket with some torn up paper...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yeah, she's going alone.... :/
    DragonflyGirls

Comment by DragonflyGirls (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would say practice! Make sure you know who will be sending her down the aisle and who whe will be walking too or where she will be standing once she makes it to the front, and remind her of those two things every time you practice. My son was 3 when he was the ringbearer at my brother's wedding, and that's what we did. We also watched ringbearers in wedding videos on youtube (don't let her see the bloopers though!!!). From watching those, he came up with a very slow gait, all on his own! I never mentioned how fast or slow to walk! He had a lot of fun and we got some really cute pictures too. I hope your daughter, and you and your family, all have a blast! Congratulations - she must be a cutie! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Aww, well shoot--we're sharing pics...hold on...lol! I want to share mine too!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Candi, adorable!!
    DragonflyGirls

Comment by DragonflyGirls (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My daughter was 3 when she was the flower girl in my brother's wedding. For practice, we gave her the old silk flower stuffed flower basket I had carried as a flower girl when I was 9. We would 'play' wedding and she would practice walking down the aisle with her ring bearer brother. DH and I were also in the wedding so DD's job was to walk up the aisle to me. If you're not in the wedding, see if you can spend some time with at least one of the bridesmaids who would be happy to be flower girl "hand holder." We also had a friend attend the wedding as 'just in case babysitter.' Her job was to sit as close to the front as possible and be ready to take the kids out of the sanctuary if a meltdown or something occurred. We also sat Grandma in the 2nd row (wedding party in 1st) to wave and beckon DD during her walk. Oh, and get her dressed at the LAST possible moment. 3 year olds and gowns can be dirt magnets. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011